Looking for referral -> Carborator Repair/ Rebuilding


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Looking for referral -> Carborator Repair/ Rebuilding

Post by swr1977 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 am



I have the carburetors off my GL1000. Can someone recommend a good place or person in western Washington (Puyallup/Tacoma area) to have them rebuilt? About how much should it cost? I thought about rebuilding them myself but I think that's just something I'd rather pay someone else to do for me!


For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

SnoBrdr
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Looking for referral -> Carborator Repair/ Rebuilding

Post by SnoBrdr » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:45 am

swr1977 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 am
I have the carburetors off my GL1000. Can someone recommend a good place or person in western Washington (Puyallup/Tacoma area) to have them rebuilt? About how much should it cost? I thought about rebuilding them myself but I think that's just something I'd rather pay someone else to do for me!
Don't know anyone in that area but nationally there are a few.

http://www.goldwingcarbs.com/

http://www.oldwings.com/

https://www.randakks.com

The last one supplies parts to rebuilders and may have others as well.

harvey01
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 pm
Location: Henrico, Virginia
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Looking for referral -> Carborator Repair/ Rebuilding

Post by harvey01 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:53 am

You might also check:
http://www.oldschoolcarbs.com/
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Looking for referral -> Carborator Repair/ Rebuilding

Post by swr1977 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:13 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:45 am
Don't know anyone in that area but nationally there are a few.

http://www.goldwingcarbs.com/

http://www.oldwings.com/

https://www.randakks.com

The last one supplies parts to rebuilders and may have others as well.
Thanks SnoBrdr... Have you personally used any of these? If so who and how did you like them?

harvey01 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:53 am
You might also check:
http://www.oldschoolcarbs.com/
Thanks harvey01 ... Same Question ... Have you personally used any of these and if so who? did you like them?

I'd really like to find someone local in the Tacoma/Seattle, Washington area but not totally against send the carbs to a specialist.
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

SnoBrdr
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Looking for referral -> Carborator Repair/ Rebuilding

Post by SnoBrdr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:34 am

swr1977 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:13 am
SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:45 am
Don't know anyone in that area but nationally there are a few.

http://www.goldwingcarbs.com/

http://www.oldwings.com/

https://www.randakks.com

The last one supplies parts to rebuilders and may have others as well.
Thanks SnoBrdr... Have you personally used any of these? If so who and how did you like them?

harvey01 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:53 am
You might also check:
http://www.oldschoolcarbs.com/
Thanks harvey01 ... Same Question ... Have you personally used any of these and if so who? did you like them?

I'd really like to find someone local in the Tacoma/Seattle, Washington area but not totally against send the carbs to a specialist.

I used oldwings.com, aka Pistol Pete & his daughter Moose.

Couldn't be more impressed.

Randakk no longer does carbs, he only does parts.

harvey01
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 pm
Location: Henrico, Virginia
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Looking for referral -> Carborator Repair/ Rebuilding

Post by harvey01 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 pm

swr1977, I have not used oldschoolcaarbs as I have never had a set rebuilt. I do know several folks who are pleased and the owner did a video with Jay Leno praising his work.

Pistol Pete does excellent work according to all that I have heard.

If you can find the info on Mike Nixon down in AZ, he is the master of CBX carb rebuilding and has actually published several excellent pamphlets on techniques. You should review this website: http://www.motorcycleproject.com/
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Looking for referral -> Carborator Repair/ Rebuilding

Post by swr1977 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Carbs have been sent to Mike Nixon in AZ... he quoted me what his web-site says... $495 to rebuild the carb + $25 to polish the manifolds + Shipping!

Take a look at the pictures... Mike's only e-mailed me two pics but I'm already amazed just looking at clean parts!

Now I just need to find someone local to do some engine work for me! If anyone from the Tacoma/Seattle, Washington area is reading this please advise me who you use for engine repair... Need a head job done... I have an exhaust value that's carboned up and I'm thinking I might need value seats replaced because the left bank smokes for a few minutes on startup.
Attachments

Carbs before (Just after removal from motor)
Carbs before (Just after removal from motor)


Carbs before (Just after removal from motor)
Carbs before (Just after removal from motor)


Carbs before (Just after removal from motor)
Carbs before (Just after removal from motor)


Carbs before (Just after removal from motor)
Carbs before (Just after removal from motor)


after cleaning
after cleaning


after cleaning
after cleaning

For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

SnoBrdr
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Looking for referral -> Carborator Repair/ Rebuilding

Post by SnoBrdr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm

swr1977 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:55 pm
Carbs have been sent to Mike Nixon in AZ... he quoted me what his web-site says... $495 to rebuild the carb + $25 to polish the manifolds + Shipping!

Take a look at the pictures... Mike's only e-mailed me two pics but I'm already amazed just looking at clean parts!

Now I just need to find someone local to do some engine work for me! If anyone from the Tacoma/Seattle, Washington area is reading this please advise me who you use for engine repair... Need a head job done... I have an exhaust value that's carboned up and I'm thinking I might need value seats replaced because the left bank smokes for a few minutes on startup.
If you leave the bike on the side stand, smoke is normal due to oil burning that slips by.



Post Reply