No Headlight, Indicators, Horn, Brake Lights Help

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
skythepig
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 Trike

No Headlight, Indicators, Horn, Brake Lights Help

Post by skythepig » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi after a problem where I had to replace the starter solenoid and starter, points and reset timing bike runs ok except I now have no indicators, headlight dipped or main beam, horn, brake lights which where all working before.
I have not disconnected anything I should not have as far as I can see.
I have checked the fuses and bulbs and they all seem ok.
Does anyone have an idiots guide to diagnosing this type of problem like a workthrough guide from start to finish as I am at a loss at moment on how to further investigate this.
THanks Gary

skythepig
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 Trike

Re: No Headlight, Indicators, Horn, Brake Lights Help

Post by skythepig » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:26 am

SOLVED
Tested power at fuses with lamp and there was power but not across the fuses? Took out fuses and cleaned connectors in fuse box. Tested continuity on each fuse with meter and it was not consistent both would connect some of the time but not always. Both fuses looked ok etc.
Put back in and headlight started working but then would go off again, same happened with indicator fuse as well so went to local bike workshop and purchased new 10amp & 15amp fuses plus spares.
Fitted these and all working again.
I am pleased back on road again. What's the chance of 2 fuses playing up at same time?
Thanks for info. :D

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: No Headlight, Indicators, Horn, Brake Lights Help

Post by Fred Camper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Well, with a 40 year old motorcycle and fuse box then more likely than you might think. Glad you found it fast. I was thinking the left bar harness.