78 clutch cable

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
emt41501

78 clutch cable

Postby emt41501 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:01 am

I printed off the directions for replacing the clutch cable on my 78 gl1000. However, the engine side connection only vagly resembled the directions. The cable end goes behind the engine and into a "closed tube" There is zero visibility as to how the end of the cable is intended to attach. I was able to get the old one off the bike by pushing the loosened cable into the engine and wiggleing it around.

How do I get the new cable to attach at the engine side?

Thanks for the help,
Tony

emt41501

Re: 78 clutch cable

Postby emt41501 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Ok I see that I must remove the small outter portion of the clutch cover. Any suggestions on how to get in there to do that? (which tools and angle of attack?) Anything I should be aware of when taking that portion of the cover off? (Is there anything spring loaded in there that is going to try to jump out? Do I need to seal the cover with RTV when replacing it?)

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: 78 clutch cable

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:28 am

emt41501 wrote:Ok I see that I must remove the small outter portion of the clutch cover. Any suggestions on how to get in there to do that? (which tools and angle of attack?) Not the easiest place to get to. Work from the left side, easier with the exhaust off, 8mm? wrench, take out the two bolts.

Anything I should be aware of when taking that portion of the cover off? You will probably find the little rubber grommets are rotten and the small ferrules will fall out. Don't loose them.

(Is there anything spring loaded in there that is going to try to jump out? Nope!

Do I need to seal the cover with RTV when replacing it?)
Nope again! It's really only a dust cover.

While you're in there, do an adjustment of the clutch release. You will see a screw and locknut in the centre of the opening. Slacken the locknut, turn the screw in until it just touches, then back it out about 1/2 -2/3 turn. Tighten lock nut.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”