Verifying GL1000 year of correct manufactured with Glass & Honda UK

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Shammon
Motorcycle: GL 1000 1979 (Project Rebuild)

Verifying GL1000 year of correct manufactured with Glass & Honda UK

Post by Shammon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:10 am

My Gl1000 was registered in the UK in 1979, although the vin and engine numbers show its a 1977 model.
To get the correct date verified so I can have this properly recorded on the v5 (Registration Document) I have to either evidence the engine numbers in the Glass motorcycle records or contact Honda UK who then may have to get the info from Japan.

I was kindly send the info for the GL1000 from the Glass info and It sadly shows that Honda did not disclose the frame numbers to the public or trade so it looks like the early models true year of manufacture has to be done via Honda direct. the DVLA (Vehicle section in UK) only accepts a Glass print out of the book or a letter of certification from the dealer, which costs £30 and can take 6 weeks to do.

I have other glass motorcycle check books for 1989 and 1997 with later Goldwings listed but same issue little on frame and engine numbers. May be of use to others who are or may experience the same issue when a bike is younger than stated.

Here in the UK next year from May 2018 all bikes and cars over 40 years old will be MOT and TAX free so expect the GL1000 to be more sought after and see prices get better ( I hope)
Attachments

Cover the basics and the technical will follow easily.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Verifying GL1000 year of correct manufactured with Glass & Honda UK

Post by Maz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:03 pm

Shammon, are you a member of the VJMC (vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club)? They offer a very good dating service for members. The dating officer knows what he is doing and where to get the information required by the DVLA to get an age-related registration number.
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Maz wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:03 pm
Shammon, are you a member of the VJMC (vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club)? They offer a very good dating service for members. The dating officer knows what he is doing and where to get the information required by the DVLA to get an age-related registration number.
Maz
Why do they make people jump thru hoops like this.

Isn't the neck plate with date of manufacture good enough?

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:36 pm

It would be good enough for me, but the DVLA are a law unto themselves. A good example being a friend of mine who restored a Kawasaki W650 last year. It was imported into the UK in 1975 and never registered here. This model was only made in 1967 so, when he applied for an age-related registration number, he expected a 1967 registration. DVLA refused, because he had fitted used, original parts from another bike and DVLA didn't have proof of the date of manufacture ( These parts can only have been from another 1967 machine, as the parts are unique to that year). DVLA issued him with a 1975 registration number, because they knew it was imported in that year (but this model was not made in that year)! This is TOTALLY against the DVLA 's own rule, which states that "It is illegal to display a registration number on a vehicle which makes the vehicle appear newer than it actually is ". Also, the DVLA allowed my friend to use a Black and White registration plate - This is illegal as the registration number is a 1975 one, and Black and White plates are only legal up to 1972!
That's what we have to deal with.
Maz

Shammon
Motorcycle: GL 1000 1979 (Project Rebuild)

Post by Shammon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Il have a look in to the vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club Maz thanks,
It is crazy the DVLA appear to be strict with things that are straight forward. I also just sent photos of the vin number that was one digit out on the V5 as it was an error, that took then two letters from me to get sorted!

Keep you posted on the certification process 8-) .
Cover the basics and the technical will follow easily.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Maz wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:36 pm
It would be good enough for me, but the DVLA are a law unto themselves. A good example being a friend of mine who restored a Kawasaki W650 last year. It was imported into the UK in 1975 and never registered here. This model was only made in 1967 so, when he applied for an age-related registration number, he expected a 1967 registration. DVLA refused, because he had fitted used, original parts from another bike and DVLA didn't have proof of the date of manufacture ( These parts can only have been from another 1967 machine, as the parts are unique to that year). DVLA issued him with a 1975 registration number, because they knew it was imported in that year (but this model was not made in that year)! This is TOTALLY against the DVLA 's own rule, which states that "It is illegal to display a registration number on a vehicle which makes the vehicle appear newer than it actually is ". Also, the DVLA allowed my friend to use a Black and White registration plate - This is illegal as the registration number is a 1975 one, and Black and White plates are only legal up to 1972!
That's what we have to deal with.
Maz
Is this for what we here call a Antique plate?

Here a bike or car has to be 25 years or older to get one but they aren't a-holes about it.

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:57 am

SnoBrdr
No, we don't have Antique Plates here. Basically, in the UK, the very first 'number plates' on vehicles were silver or white letters/numbers on a black background. In the early '70's, some bright spark came up with the idea of using reflective number plates, for safety so, from '72 onwards, all number plates had to be black letters/numbers on a reflective yellow background (rear) and black letters/numbers on reflective white background (front). Motorcycles were no longer fitted with front plates after this time, although if your bike is old enough to have been fitted with one originally, you are allowed to retro-fit one.
As Shammon has said, getting the DVLA to do anything is an absolute pain in the rear. It took me 15 weeks to get a new registration document (V5) after replacing the frame on my '75 Wing!

Maz

Paul Narramore
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 GoldWing
1977 BMW R100/7
1989 BMW R100GS-Paris Dakar

Post by Paul Narramore » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:40 am

I sometimes wonder with the DVLA if it's the actually person rather than the system which is the problem. My 1977 GL1000 had on the registration document the actual engine number it left the factory with but at sometime during then, the bike was fitted with a 1976 engine. I mentioned this on the registration document when I bought her, sent it away and it came back with no quibbles.

Black & white/silver number plates. I can rarely remember dates so remember that 'L' registration numbers (loosely) and afterwards required reflective plates. However, and I've not checked this out, that this has now changed and that b&w plates can now be fitted to 'M' and onwards on a rolling year-by-year system. I'll check this out.

(Later) "Since April 2016 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1976 can display the older style plates. You must: n have applied to DVLA, and n be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class. Vehicles constructed 40 or more years ago are exempt from tax. The 40 year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April".

Since this appeared in DVLA INF104, a year has moved on so for my 1977 'R' reg GL1000, as from 1st April 2018, no MoT nor VEL (tax disc) is required provided the machine is then described on it's registration document as 'Historic Vehicle', and the bike CAN wear a black & white/silver number plate.

PS However as I am more than happy with the standard reflective numberplate, I shalln't change it ;-)
"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana" (Groucho Marx).

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, is very dark" (Groucho Marx).

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:14 am

Paul Narramore wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:40 am
I sometimes wonder with the DVLA if it's the actually person rather than the system which is the problem. My 1977 GL1000 had on the registration document the actual engine number it left the factory with but at sometime during then, the bike was fitted with a 1976 engine. I mentioned this on the registration document when I bought her, sent it away and it came back with no quibbles.

Black & white/silver number plates. I can rarely remember dates so remember that 'L' registration numbers (loosely) and afterwards required reflective plates. However, and I've not checked this out, that this has now changed and that b&w plates can now be fitted to 'M' and onwards on a rolling year-by-year system. I'll check this out.

(Later) "Since April 2016 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1976 can display the older style plates. You must: n have applied to DVLA, and n be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class. Vehicles constructed 40 or more years ago are exempt from tax. The 40 year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April".

Since this appeared in DVLA INF104, a year has moved on so for my 1977 'R' reg GL1000, as from 1st April 2018, no MoT nor VEL (tax disc) is required provided the machine is then described on it's registration document as 'Historic Vehicle', and the bike CAN wear a black & white/silver number plate.

PS However as I am more than happy with the standard reflective numberplate, I shalln't change it ;-)
You are correct, Paul.
For the information of our overseas cousins, the 'L' registration to which Paul refers, is the suffix letter on the registration plate (eg ABC 123L), where 'L' denoted 1972/3. This numbering system began in 1963 with 'A' as the suffix letter (eg ABC 123A) . For those of you who are trying to work it out, bear in mind that the DVLA refused to use the letters I and Z as suffixes as these could be confused with 1 and 2. If you think that's confusing, you should see the system we use now! To add insult to injury, DVLA have decided that Z can now be used, although I is still a problem....unless you're from Northern Ireland, in which case it's always been OK!:roll:

Maz