Plate "A" & "B",Timing Belt Adjusting

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
dmoxley49
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000, 2014 Can Am Spyder, 2016 Slingshot

Plate "A" & "B",Timing Belt Adjusting

Post by dmoxley49 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi All,

I am in the middle of rebuilding the belt adjusters on a 1978 Goldwing. I have removed the pulley from both plates (ones I bought off of Ebay to try this out). Both adjusters have a backing plate "A" & "B" that will interfere with the new attaching hardware used to assemble the pulley to the mounting plate. My question is, are these "A" & "B" plates needed? They were done away in later years. If they must be used, I am thinking about modifying them (grind them) to not get in the way of the new hardware.

The plates I am talking about that will be removed or modified are attached . . .

Thanks in advance . . . Don
Attachments

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Plate "A" & "B",Timing Belt Adjusting

Post by dingdong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 pm

75/77 had brackets but they were straight not L shaped as the 78/79. 1980 on had no brackets. I doubt they are needed. ???
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

dmoxley49
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000, 2014 Can Am Spyder, 2016 Slingshot

Re: Plate "A" & "B",Timing Belt Adjusting

Post by dmoxley49 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:47 am

Thanks for the comments. I tend to agree with you since there does not seem to be a clear explanation, that I have found, of why they were used to begin with. I think I have a solution however. I found a correct sized plow bolt and lock nut, that with a little mod to the bolt (minimal grinding underneath the head of the bolt along the shank) will install and fit flush allowing the mounting plate to slide over the adjusting plate with no obstructions. The hardware is a grade 5 bolt and grade 8 lock nut, zinc plated, so it should be strong enough and weatherproof.

I'll post pictures after I get the hardware and start the assembly. Meanwhile, the adjusting plate mystery still lives. The only clear purpose it seems to serve is, a spacer between the block mounting points and the pulley assembly. I doubt it is that simple.