75 gl1000, burning fuses, please advise.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
C-Bass Shabazz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 Goldwing

75 gl1000, burning fuses, please advise.

Post by C-Bass Shabazz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Where to start? This summer, i replaced my starter solenoid with a new univeraal one that has a built in 30 amp fuse. Got it to start and ride a hand full of times. After some issues with my killswitch and hydrolocking my pistons, i keep burning out 30 amp blades every time I attempt to start my bike ( been checking for exposed wires for months.) I have to use a set of pliers to bridge the connection to the start button ( consequences of kill switch issue) and it tries to start for about three seconds before that fuse blows.

Am i missing something obvious here? I suspect that it's either that solenoid or my ignition button that's causing that fuse to blow, but my lack of mechanical experience has me hesitating on what to do first. Please help.

cfairweather
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000, 1977 GL1000, 2013 BMW R1200RT, 1972 K1 CB750

Re: 75 gl1000, burning fuses, please advise.

Post by cfairweather » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:39 am

You may have a short in one of the handlebar controls. A damaged wire or solder connection may be shorting to the handlebar. Try taking the three screws out of the right control and split it apart. Separate the wires as much as possible so they don't touch each other and carefully examine them. Look at the wires going to the starter button while you push the button, to see if something shorts. Make sure that the control is not touching the handlebars and see if the fuse blows when you try and start it. If you were working on the kill switch, look for a short on these wires. If you don't find the problem on the right control, do the same to the left. Look at the wiring behind the headlight too. Unplug the headlight and try and start to start the bike. I have seen motorcycle headlights short out and blow the main fuse.

If this doesn't help, try unplugging the small wires that go to the solenoid and start the bike with the kick starter to see if the fuse blows with this device out of the circuit. If it doesn't blow, turn it off and back on but press the starter button with the small solenoid wires still disconnected. If it blows with the solenoid out of the picture, the problem is probably related to the starter button or its wiring.

fatalbert
Motorcycle: 1975 honda goldwing(2), 1962 CA77, 1979 CBX, 1966 BSA Lightning, 1966 Cb450 Bomber

Post by fatalbert » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:11 pm

You have a short somewhere a short somewhere in your starting circuitry anywhere from the starter button down to your starter. I would recommend disconnecting your battery and use an ohm meter and look for zero ohms to chassis ground on the hot side of the starter circuit.

I would start at one side of the 30 amp fuse (new one) and look for the short to ground. If you see a dead short, start disconnecting points in the circuit to find the cause of the short. Most likely it will be something in the area you worked on.

C-Bass Shabazz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 Goldwing

Post by C-Bass Shabazz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:45 pm

cfairweather wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:39 am
You may have a short in one of the handlebar controls. A damaged wire or solder connection may be shorting to the handlebar. Try taking the three screws out of the right control and split it apart. Separate the wires as much as possible so they don't touch each other and carefully examine them. Look at the wires going to the starter button while you push the button, to see if something shorts. Make sure that the control is not touching the handlebars and see if the fuse blows when you try and start it. If you were working on the kill switch, look for a short on these wires. If you don't find the problem on the right control, do the same to the left. Look at the wiring behind the headlight too. Unplug the headlight and try and start to start the bike. I have seen motorcycle headlights short out and blow the main fuse.

If this doesn't help, try unplugging the small wires that go to the solenoid and start the bike with the kick starter to see if the fuse blows with this device out of the circuit. If it doesn't blow, turn it off and back on but press the starter button with the small solenoid wires still disconnected. If it blows with the solenoid out of the picture, the problem is probably related to the starter button or its wiring.
That makes sense to me. The headlight bulb is burnt now and my incomplete killswitch likely has some undesirable exposure on the inside. I bought a killswitch from a 78 gl1000 on ebay. I'm not 100% sure it's compatable, i'm wondering if i should just wire in an aftermarket button or toggle switch on the leads from the start button. The new switch would require rewiring through the handlebars, into a nest of butt connections that look shiny within their clear seals. I gotta get a roof over my bike so i can actually do stuff without the threat of rain. Thanks for the responses guys, i will do better about keeping you posted and not ghosted.