nuetral switch rebuild

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
ntintruder
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1972 CB750K2
1977 CB750f

nuetral switch rebuild

Post by ntintruder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Anyone ever successfully taken a gl1000 neutral switch apart? I am getting ready to put an engine into the frame but I decided to make sure the neutral switch was nice and clean so as to avoid the green light from hell. Pulled it and made a four-pin spanner wrench to remove the contact assy.. Very hard to turn and when I got it out I saw that the
threads were distorted. I didn't trust it not to leak so I repeated the process on another old switch and got the same results. I have read that it should be possible to take one of these apart so what am I doing wrong? Is there a way to clean one of these without taking it apart? Taking into consideration the difficulty in getting one out when the engine is in the frame I don't think that this was one of Honda's better ideas.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: nuetral switch rebuild

Post by SnoBrdr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 pm

ntintruder wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm
Anyone ever successfully taken a gl1000 neutral switch apart? I am getting ready to put an engine into the frame but I decided to make sure the neutral switch was nice and clean so as to avoid the green light from hell. Pulled it and made a four-pin spanner wrench to remove the contact assy.. Very hard to turn and when I got it out I saw that the
threads were distorted. I didn't trust it not to leak so I repeated the process on another old switch and got the same results. I have read that it should be possible to take one of these apart so what am I doing wrong? Is there a way to clean one of these without taking it apart? Taking into consideration the difficulty in getting one out when the engine is in the frame I don't think that this was one of Honda's better ideas.
Same with the stator.

https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14520