Brake reservoir


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
Merrill79
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:17 pm
Location: Ephrata Wa.
Motorcycle: 1979 Goldwing

Brake reservoir

Post by Merrill79 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm



79 Goldwing; Rear brake reservoir is sun rotted, eBay wants big bucks for a rebuildable core,,,, I’ve seen generic aftermarket master cylinders, with a hose connecting the reservoir to the MC. The mounting brackets would be different, ( not a big deal), otherwise they should work ?????

Anyone with special knowledge pertaining to this approach?????



SnoBrdr
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Brake reservoir

Post by SnoBrdr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Merrill79 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm
79 Goldwing; Rear brake reservoir is sun rotted, eBay wants big bucks for a rebuildable core,,,, I’ve seen generic aftermarket master cylinders, with a hose connecting the reservoir to the MC. The mounting brackets would be different, ( not a big deal), otherwise they should work ?????

Anyone with special knowledge pertaining to this approach?????
Sun rotted?

What does that mean.

I have seen what you want to do done.

Merrill79
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:17 pm
Location: Ephrata Wa.
Motorcycle: 1979 Goldwing

Re: Brake reservoir

Post by Merrill79 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Desert region here , average 8” annual persipitation . LOTS of sun!
My bike has had the side cover missing for sometime. This left the plastic reservoir ( which is incorporated into the master cylinder “sun rotted” or “sun baked” would be another term. The intensity of the sunlight
Literally rots plastics, ( upholstery, PVC pipe, buckets, etc.....)
The UV, protecters are short lived in this environment and plastics in direct
Sunlight become chalky and brittle.....
.
All of us old guys wear sunscreen ....
.

SnoBrdr
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Brake reservoir

Post by SnoBrdr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Merrill79 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:15 pm
Desert region here , average 8” annual persipitation . LOTS of sun!
My bike has had the side cover missing for sometime. This left the plastic reservoir ( which is incorporated into the master cylinder “sun rotted” or “sun baked” would be another term. The intensity of the sunlight
Literally rots plastics, ( upholstery, PVC pipe, buckets, etc.....)
The UV, protecters are short lived in this environment and plastics in direct
Sunlight become chalky and brittle.....
.
All of us old guys wear sunscreen ....
.
The plastic reservoir pops right out and is easily replaced.

Merrill79
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:17 pm
Location: Ephrata Wa.
Motorcycle: 1979 Goldwing

Re: Brake reservoir

Post by Merrill79 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:37 pm

This is good to know, I’ve not taken it off the bike yet , will remove it tonite to have a closer look. I’ve not been able to find the reservoir for the rear brake master cylinder. I found one for the front which has the same issue, but not the rear. Only place I’ve not checked is the Honda dealer. From what source are they available.???

SnoBrdr
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Brake reservoir

Post by SnoBrdr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:26 am

Merrill79 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:37 pm
This is good to know, I’ve not taken it off the bike yet , will remove it tonite to have a closer look. I’ve not been able to find the reservoir for the rear brake master cylinder. I found one for the front which has the same issue, but not the rear. Only place I’ve not checked is the Honda dealer. From what source are they available.???
EBay.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18738
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Brake reservoir

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:59 am

Merrill79 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:37 pm
This is good to know, I’ve not taken it off the bike yet , will remove it tonite to have a closer look. I’ve not been able to find the reservoir for the rear brake master cylinder. I found one for the front which has the same issue, but not the rear. Only place I’ve not checked is the Honda dealer. From what source are they available.???
I wouldn't say it "pops right out" - it is sealed to the aluminum part of the master cylinder with an O-ring that probably hasn't moved since the bike was manufactured. I removed mine on my GL1100, and it took a lot of time and effort to get it to "pop" free.

SnoBrdr
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Brake reservoir

Post by SnoBrdr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:33 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:59 am
Merrill79 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:37 pm
This is good to know, I’ve not taken it off the bike yet , will remove it tonite to have a closer look. I’ve not been able to find the reservoir for the rear brake master cylinder. I found one for the front which has the same issue, but not the rear. Only place I’ve not checked is the Honda dealer. From what source are they available.???
I wouldn't say it "pops right out" - it is sealed to the aluminum part of the master cylinder with an O-ring that probably hasn't moved since the bike was manufactured. I removed mine on my GL1100, and it took a lot of time and effort to get it to "pop" free.
True but considering the fact that you were probably trying to reuse yours and he is not.

he could take liberties getting it out that you could not.

Merrill79
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:17 pm
Location: Ephrata Wa.
Motorcycle: 1979 Goldwing

Re: Brake reservoir

Post by Merrill79 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Thanks for the input, haven’t found a suitable replacement yet. May try to convert to a remote reservoir cup with hose linking connection. Just thought I would toss this out there and see if anyone had pursued this path before. Ebay is offering high priced rebuildable cores at best. ( at the moment). If I can’t find a usable cup I may look into retro fitting a more recent model GW system or going with one of the 40 dollar generic units.
Thanks for the thoughts I’ll sort thru them.



Post Reply