Dyna DS1-3 Help!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
AZnative
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Re: Dyna DS1-3 Help!

Post by AZnative » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 am

dingdong wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 pm
A bad module is not out of the question. Happens often. Why don't you contact Dyna and see if they can help?

Did you ever check for a good ground at the plate?
Well after not being able to solve my problem with the Dyna S I decided it was time to contact the seller from Amazon first with details of my issue. I requested either a replacement (not ready to throw in the towel yet but getting there) or a refund. I reinstalled my points and statically timed both sides and it runs great with no hiccups or stutter. Don’t know why I even tried the Dyna S.

AZnative
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Post by AZnative » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Well I got a call from the shop that sold me the Dyna S (bought it through Amazon) and the assumption by their shop tech based on my issues is that the Dyna is more than likely fine and my issue is timing. He told me that points are more forgiving with regards to timing and that setting the timing for the Dyna using static timing procedures is to "just get me in the ballpark" and that I need to dynamically set the timing if I expect the Dyna S module to work properly on my GL1000. Well I certainly haven't read anywhere on the Dyna instructions that a static timing is "just to get me in the ballpark" or any mention that a dynamic timing adjustment is required for the Dyna S to work properly. Seems then that I need find and buy a glass timing plug for my Honda or order a dynamic timing wheel from Randaak's Cycle Shack. Anybody have experience with either or agree that it is necessary to set the timing dynamically in order for the Dyna S to work properly? Or is good ol' smoke just being blown my way in order to avoid a return or a refund?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:09 am

Don't waste your time and money. The Dyna is easier to set the timing on than points. Static timing has worked just fine for hundreds if not thousands of 1000s
with the Dyna. I think the person who told you that doesn't have a clue. Timing that's "in the ball park" wouldn't prevent one side from firing. JMHO
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.