Stuck Clutch

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
swr1977
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Stuck Clutch

Post by swr1977 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:27 am

After a lengthy winter project on my 1978 GL1000 of removing the engine to fix a gummed up starter and have the carburetors rebuilt... I get the engine reinstalled and everything was running smooth after a quick test ride. I'm pulling the bike back into the shop to finish reinstalling the side panels and chrome covers when it seemed like the clutch cable snapped but it couldn't have because I wasn't able to move the bike. The clutch is just stuck engaged! After taking the outer clutch cable cover off I find yes the cable is fine but the clutch is stuck in. I pull down on the lever and it pops back out. So I try pulling the hand bar clutch lever again, works fine at first but after engaging and disengaging the clutch lever a few times is sticks again! I drain the oil and pulled the whole clutch cover off to inspect the throw-out bearing ... all looks good to me but then I'm not a expert so I'm not sure... I put some grease on the outer seal thinking maybe it was too dry and causing something to stick... put it all back together and try again... same problem... something is causing it to stick in. (In the engaged position)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Stuck Clutch

Post by DaveO430 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:24 pm

You probably need to adjust the release screw in the center of the clutch cover. Slack the cable all the way off, loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in until it touches, back it off 1/2 turn and tighten the lock nut, then adjust the cable.

swr1977
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Re: Stuck Clutch

Post by swr1977 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm

DaveO430 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:24 pm
You probably need to adjust the release screw in the center of the clutch cover. Slack the cable all the way off, loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in until it touches, back it off 1/2 turn and tighten the lock nut, then adjust the cable.
Thanks... I didn't realise that was an adjustment... I just looked in the manual and found the same instructions except it says 3/4 turn!
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES