electrical smoke

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
FrankOH
Motorcycle: 1977 Goldwing

electrical smoke

Post by FrankOH » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:14 am

New member here,
Hello to everyone. Picked up 1977 GL 1000 that has a lot of new parts by previous owner. Bought on speculation and luck not running. Installed new battery (correct size) Turned the key and pressed start button, one short turn of the motor and electrical smoke emmitted from under the handlebars in front of faux fuel tank. Turned off ignition immediately. Looking for comments from experienced folks before I start into anything myself. What would be the most likely cause of smoke from that area?

fatalbert
Motorcycle: 1975 honda goldwing(2), 1962 CA77, 1979 CBX, 1966 BSA Lightning, 1966 Cb450 Bomber

Re: electrical smoke

Post by fatalbert » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:51 pm

From your brief description it sounds like it could be the coils that are located in that area. I would follow the smoke and look for sooted parts. I believe there is also a resister with the coils. The resistor may have fried.

You need a schematic of the GL1000 so you can follow the circuit. A manual is imperative if you intend to do your own wrenching. It contains methods for checking components that your are going to need. I think there is a schematic elsewhere on this forum.

Troubleshooting electrical issues are the most challenging part of being a mechanic, and most are not very good at electrical troublehooting.

I think you will get better support from others if you can provide more detailed information. Good luck.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 pm

The power to the headlight comes from the ignition, then to the nest on the left side, then connect to wire up to the starter switch on the right bar (to turn off during the cranking time), back to the left side nest, then connect to wire up the the left bar and the high low beam switch, back to the left side nest, then connect to wires out to the headlight, This is why the stock light is so dim.

But that is a lot of connections that could be dirty and cause high resistance and temperature. The above is the reason why many of us run a lighting relay.

Hope you wind the smoking gun soon.

FrankOH
Motorcycle: 1977 Goldwing

Post by FrankOH » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 am

Thank you for your replies. Yes , I was looking at the schematic and am going to have to take off the storage area to better look at connections. Thanks for the headlight wiring description. I thought that might be a problem. The previous owner has the headlight off. I looked at the connections prior to anything else. They appear to connected and only minus a headlight. But that is a hope only till further work.

Thanks again Fred and fatalbert

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Give us an update please when you learn more. We all can gain knowledge from this.