Valve adjustments

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Valve adjustments

Postby pkovalko » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:23 pm

I recently replaced the left hand camshaft on my 1975 Goldwing. I was careful to replace it in the same position as the previous camshaft. I put the timing belts on making sure that the engine did not rotate. I lined up the timing marks and lined up the T1 mark on the fly wheel. I adjusted the valves on cylinder one and the other valves that the shop manual required. I rotated the engine 360 and lined up the T1 mark. At this point I'm supposed to adjust the valves on cylinder 4 however the valves are not free to make adjustments. Any recommendations or opinions? Is there a proper way to install the camshaft? Thank you, -Peter

Motorcycle: Various

Re: Valve adjustments

Postby ekcyclerepair » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Sounds like you've probably installed the cam correctly but your valve adjustment procedure might be wrong. After adjusting the valves on cylinder #1, rotate the engine 360 clockwise (looking at the engine fron the rear) and then adjust the valves on cyl # 2 (not #4).

Also, you need to be sure that cyl #1 is on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke. The "1" on the flywheel will line up on both the compression stroke, and exhaust stroke.

Cyl #1 is the right front and cyl #2 is the left front. So, with #1 at TDC compression , adjust both #1 valves, #3 exhaust & #4 intake. Rotate 360 clockwise and with #2 at TDC compression, adjust both #2 valves, #3 intake & #4 exhaust.

Will be glad to go into more detail. Just holler if you need help :) .
Let us know how it turns out.

Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000

Re: Valve adjustments

Postby tavex » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:52 am

In the How-to area respond this. See here .bye

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”