losing power

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000 cards off 1100

losing power

Postby coolitmans » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:39 am

my honda goldwing gl 1000 is losing power. someone has put another set of carbs on it. think they are off of an 1100. i have taken them apart and they look clean. the air cut off valves look good. it is speratic. sometimes will start and run fine. then next time it will barley start will not idle and runs like crap. some times it will run good then start running bad then go back to running good. hot cold weather does not effect it. last time i ran it and pulled the carbs after they were all four wet. i remember the front two exaust pipes were not hot either. i am starting to think it may be an ignition problem. has any one ever had one act like this. real speratic. sometime runs good. also uses about twice as much fuel when running bad. any ideas ??????

Shawn Jackson

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: losing power

Postby dingdong » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:14 am

The 1000 carbs have a white cap on top of each carb top. 1100 are plain with no cap. Sounds like there might be some kind of problem with the choke. Check the linkage to see if it is hanging up and keeping the choke partially closed at times. Ignition could also be a problem. Points, coils, plug wires or caps or even a bad main ground connection could cause your problem.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:17 am

Yep could be coils,wires or caps getting hot and arcing..when running like crap get into a garage in the dark look for arcing you can spray a little water around to help it arc.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:47 am

You can usually tell the difference between an electrical (spark) problem and a fuel problem. Spark is more sporadic - when the cylinder does fire off, it fires off at full power, when it doesn't fire, it doesn't fire at ALL. Fuel problems tend to make the cylinder fire off weakly. When you've felt both, you'll know the difference - the electrical (spark) stumble feels sharper and more like a "stutter" and the fuel stumble feels more like - well, running out of gas.

Spray the water on in the dark and see if it makes a difference - look for sparks!

Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000, 2008 GL1800

Postby RedSled » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Do you still have the dual points? Could possibly be a fine oil mist on one of the sets of points, since it is the two front cylinders not firing. If you no longer have the points, then I'd look at the spark plug wires and wire ends, the wire ends had a resistor in them and sometimes that goes bad. If you have a volt/ohm meter you can check them without taking the ends apart. I'd compare them to the two rear cylinders, but if I remember right they were like 10,000 ohms each. Been a long time since I worked on my 1000. Good luck, should not be too hard to diagnose this one.

Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 UnDressed and Progressively Weber Carbureted

Postby 78AzWing » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Checking the points, then all of the connections from the points to the condensor and on over to the coils to make sure they are in good operating condition.

Since it is only the front two cylinders, it is only going to be one pointset, one coil and one side of the condensor.

I would lean toward the points not being set right, myself. But it could also be the one coil isn't working.

switching the two point leads around and seeing if the front two cylinders are now firing will tell you a lot right there.
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons
For thee are Krunchie and taste goode with Ketchup!

Motorcycle: 77 Goldwing

Postby curtis71 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 pm

had a set of 1100 carbs on my 77 gl1000,that will cause a power issue,jets are different on al early wings,check out randakks site for more info on the carbs needed for your wing,when I changed mine to the right carbs it made a world of difference

silver eagle
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Postby silver eagle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:21 am

Yes - You definately want to check Randaks web site for troubleshooting and common issues and upgrades! He has helped me on more than one occasion. Best thing to do is start with the things you can check or do that is free or very cheap. Such as checking all your old wiring and making sure the grounds are solid. Check fuses and make sure they are not corroded in the holder. Then just work your way up to the more costly stuff, like coils or a correct set of carbs for that bike! If it were mine, I would check all the electricals first. Then drain the fuel and put fresh fuel in the tank. Make sure there is no water hangin out somewhere in that tank! Then sync up the carbs and drop a little marvels into the fuel tank and ride her 100 miles and see if things are running better. Follow the instructions on the Marvels Mystery Oil per the container and don't put to much in!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”