77 Goldwing project wiring issues

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
BubbaBill
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

77 Goldwing project wiring issues

Postby BubbaBill » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:18 pm

I was wondering is some of the GL100 guru’s could help out. I just got hold of a 77 Goldwing. The previous couple owners could not get it started and did not know what was wrong. They hit the start button and it dimmed the light but would not turn the starter. I tried a jump starter box to the old starter that was supposed to be bad and it popped the sprocket out and spun. I tried it straight to the starter and it turned the engine over. I knew it was electrical at that point. I have spent few weeks looking over the info for the diagrams and reading. I finally found a few wires hanging.
There were two green wires and one white/green, they were on the left side of the false tank at the forks wire harness connections.
I was able to pull the two wires out of the top of the bundle and they matched the loose ones coming from the bike wire harness. I followed them back up and they connected the left clutch.
After connecting it I tried the starter button a couple of times and it started turning over. I pulled the spark plugs and now I am getting a spark. I got daring and put car engine starter in the carb and it kicked over but sounded rough.
I have to clean the gas tanks so I had the fuel value turned off. I tried to keep running with ether can and noticed a wire got hot and smoked.
I noticed the wire before and new I would need to repair it when I get the tank off to clean it out. The wire is coming of the Rectifier on the battery cage. It is the second wire down. It is yellow. I think it runs to the ac generator.

Do I just need to fix the connections on the wire harness and rectifier or might there be another problem with the generator or rectifier?
This is what I am hoping someone could tell me or give some suggestions.
Another point is while tracking down wires and looking at things, I found that I had electronic points and I did pull them out look at them and put them back in, since I got no spark earlier. Now I am getting a spark. so they are probably off. I will try to adjust them.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

77 GL1000 current project
07 Suzuki s40 - Traded for car when I got married
06 Honda Rebel - traded for S40

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 77 Goldwing project wiring issues

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:16 am

I'm surprised the yellow wire (yes, it goes between the stator/generator and the rectifier) smoked just with the engine stumbling over - the stator generally doesn't put an appreciable amount of power (at least enough to charge the battery) until at least 2,000 rpm. If it is smoking and heating up, it makes me think that there might be something wrong with the rectifier, in that it may be feeding battery current back into the stator?

If you can get the bike to run (off the battery), disconnect all three yellow wires and measure the AC voltage generated between each pair. You should see 70 VAC generated between each pair when running the bike up to 2500-3000 RPM.

Also, with the bike off, measure resistance between each yellow stator lead and ground - there shouldn't be any -it should be an open circuit.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”