need help

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
lmlmrbd
Motorcycle: 1978 honda goldwing gl1000

need help

Postby lmlmrbd » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:35 pm

i have a 1978 gl 1000 with a cycle innvocation manifold with a holly one barrel,it runs, wont idel,put the choke on does not make any differents in rpm or the way it runs. gots a little backfire when it first start's but when it warm's up ,it goes away. about all i can get out of her is 70mph. this is my first goldwing,i bought it from a widow, an it sat awhile it got 52000 miles on it.i got a little shade tree mechanic behind me , its got fire,gas, the gas come's out of the petcock a little slow i think,it does not fill the fuel filter anyway. i have not put a timing light on it yet,was wondering if the gate's timing belt part no T274 is the right belt for this model. where do i begin to get this baby running right so i dont have to worry about going crosscountry with her. thanks

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: need help

Postby dingdong » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:22 am

If the bike has sat for any amount of time the carb is probably clogged up. I would first run some Seafoam through a tank or two of gas. Might clean things up. If not you will need to pull and clean the carb. The fuel filter on some bikes never fill completely so I wouldn't worry about that right now. Yes, that is the correct # for the timing belts.
The single carb conversions have sometimes never ran correctly because of the jetting. If all is clean in the carb you might have the wrong jets installed. I guess you can't ask the PO though! I would also check the choke linkage to see if it is opening all the way. What do the plugs look like? Lots of information can be learned from the plug condition.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

lmlmrbd

Postby lmlmrbd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks for helping,luv this site,learned alot. The choke is working right, the plugs look like black soot, seem like i have too clean them alot. what im thinking if the choke is on , it has to be getting its air from somewhere, it fixing to snow here so i can check it out as much as i want too. soon as weather clears ill run some seafoam,an check for vacume leaks, i really dont want to run her to much,until i find out what condition the timing belt are in. thanks again for the info

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:43 am

Black soot on plugs mean it is running very rich. Not likely to be a vacuum leak. Incorrect jetting, float level set wrong or air circuits clogged.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Or choke circuit stuck on.. :)

lmlmrbd

Postby lmlmrbd » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:25 pm

i think ur right about the float,before i got it running half way,i had to take the plugs out an blow the gas out of the cylinder,s before i could get the starter to engage an start. i though i had got it un stuck,because it would idel about 950 rpm when it warmed up alittle,but if i didnt keep it rad up it would die. i did notice that if i didnt turn the petcock off it seems to start hard.the chock is manuel an i see the butterfly close,should i be looking for some else? im going to try the seafloam first ,if it dont work i guess ill take it off an clean as best i can an try to set float the best i can. do u know if there is another carb that will work better , that i can get the specs on? thanks for the help

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”