Drilled Brake Discs / Rotors

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Drilled Brake Discs / Rotors

Postby Old Fogey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:52 pm

If you ride in the rain a lot you will have no doubt had the heartstopping experience of the bike just not wanting to slow. This on any bike with solid stainless rotors.
I could not believe just how bad the wet weather braking was on my first Wing back in '75. OK, pad technology has improved immensely since then, but the brakes still are not good in the wet.
The first thing I did to the brakes when building the 'Swan' was to drill the rotors. The difference in the wet was very noticeable right away! (I have also fitted the 1100 brake system afterwards).

I'm now in a position to offer a brake rotor/disc drilling service for those of you without the facility to do it yourselves.
Obviously this will not appeal to anyone with a show quality restoration but for the rider who really uses his bike, I rate this as an essential modification. Have a look here:

http://www.wingovations.com/#/brake-dis ... 4548455146

I had difficulty here finding someone who would do this job. Most machine shops just do not want to know; those that are willing want £30 plus / hour - it takes at least an hour to do ONE disc. So I did my own. Now people have seem mine, some have asked where they can get theirs done. So I've set up this as a service.
I guess this will appeal to the UK and maybe the closer Euro guys. It is probably too expensive to ship a set from elsewhere are they are heavy, but I can always find out a shipping price.

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”