New (to me) 79 GL1000 - new to the board

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
AndaPrayer
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

New (to me) 79 GL1000 - new to the board

Postby AndaPrayer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:44 pm

I have been lurking here for a couple days and I just wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to all of you who give the advice. I bought a somewhat running 79 Goldwing for $500. I rode it home but it was a rough ride, no power, no front brakes, akward stance from what I am used to and being a cager for the last couple years. The PO bought it as a trade in from someone he sold a car to at a dealership so I have no credible history but it is obvious it has been poorly maintained.

The guy had a pair of vice grips holding out the choke so it would run (he wants them back!) but it stumbled and surged a bunch. Reading through here and with very little effort I have fixed a few of the problems and would like y'alls advice on where to go from here:

It runs with the choke off now (and I twisted the ring at the base of the choke pull so that it will stay out on its own when it is needed). I Balanced the carbs to what I believe is pretty close. On idle it was surging about 500 - 800 rpm, this is getting less, maybe the seafoam is helping here. The stumbling is much less but if I take the idle down to about 1100 rpms it will eventually die and there is a 'chunk' sound once in a while. When it idles at around 1700 then I do not notice it. #1 & #3 exhaust has much less force and is not near as hot at operating temerature as #2 & #4 are. The other thing that is bothering me is that a second or 2 after I kill the engine there is a muffled sound in the #2/#4 exaust like a flame is being extinguised. The best likeness I could give is that is sounds like a pilot light or gas grill/fireplace being lit.

I know I should tear into the carbs but I am not sure I want to fork out the money for Randakk's kit just yet. I picked up a front master cylinder rebuild kit so I'll be working on the brakes today. Both the piston and the switch are stuck in the MC and one of the res cap screws have to be drilled out. Hope my hands are steady today!

Anyway - Thanks again for a great forum!

omw41
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda Goldwing 1000

Re: New (to me) 79 GL1000 - new to the board

Postby omw41 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Congratulations. I have a 1979 gl 1000 and I love it. It has about 46K on it. I have had it a year and it runs so well, that I am riding it out to Vintage Bike Days in Canton, Ohio over Memorial Day Weekend. My bike is a daily driver and not a trailer queen.

Randakk has an old school step by step procedure for "boiling" out your old carbs. http://www.randakks.com/TechTip52.htm
You can buy a huge tin foil type roasting pan and just do it on the grill, if you can get the grill hot enough.

One thing I would suggest is based upon the mileage of the bike you should do the timing belts. If ther's 40 50k on it, or if you have no idea if it's ever been done, just do it.

You are going to love that bike.
Attachments
Jan 2011
Jan 2011

AndaPrayer

Postby AndaPrayer » Fri May 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks OMW41 - That's a nice looking bike there. What are the pipes from? They look a bit longer than mine and I like the turn down in them.

Do you have any advice on getting the vcarbs out? The airbox doesn't come out the top and I can't get to the front screw on the Air Cutoff valve so I can't slide the carb out the left side.

omw41

Postby omw41 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks. I just came back from a nice 500 mile overnight run. I can't believe how great these old Goldwings perform.

The pipes are the Jardine Replacement for the bike. Check Old Bike Barn; I think they sell them.

The airbox will come out of the top. Make sure you have both of the pins from both sides of the false tank out. In fact, take both sides of the false tank off first. Make sure you remove the tool tray. Unscrew the air filter cover. Take the cover and the filter out. Then, make sure you disconnect the hoses on the bottom left side of the airbox.

It takes some wiggling and patience, but you can, without a doubt, take the airbox out from the top.

I have not done my air cutoff yet. Let me know if it helps. I hear conflicting reports.

AndaPrayer

Postby AndaPrayer » Sat May 14, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks a ton - I was just giving up for the night when your message came through so with renewed confidence and a little force I pulled the airbox out! I wish I would have done that first as it gave a wide open view of everything I spent the night taking apart :oops:

I was not planning on doing anything with the Air Cut off, I just needed the clearance to slide the carbs out and it gave me just what I needed. Now I'll spend the weekend cleaning carbs instead of trying to get to that little screw. Thanks again! :mrgreen:

omw41

Postby omw41 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 pm

That makes me feel very good. Thank you. :D

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”