Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1977 honda GL1000

Postby fatslob » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Hello, I have a question about tires. I've got a naked 77 Goldwing that I picked up to restore and need tires. I need a tire that's build for weight, as I'm not a little guy (280 lbs). Anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback, Bob

Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
2003 Vstar Classic

Re: Tires

Postby Optimurphprime » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:25 pm

I have good luck with Dunlop d404's. That's what came new on my vstar and I did a lot of 2up riding with my wife ( close to 500 lbs combined). I went to an Avon Venom rear tire for my third wheel. It's still going. My wing has the same dunlops on it. Pretty much any tire will handle your weight, although obviously the more weight you carry the more they wear. If you do a fair bit to a lot of riding look into getting a higher speed rated tire. They are made with harder rubber and can get you more miles. I think average miles on a rear tire is around 10k. My front tires I push to around 20-22k, although then you have an increased potential for delamination because of age. Make sure you keep them air'd up.
The Lord knows them that are his by name, but we must know them by their character.

Matthew Henry

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”