Brand new to the bike world

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
fixitguy.jy
Motorcycle: none (yet)

Brand new to the bike world

Postby fixitguy.jy » Sun May 29, 2011 1:55 pm

I have never even so much as ridden a street bike. Have had minimal time on dirt bikes, but every man must have his time... I am looking into a ?76 Goldwing 1000? The guy doesn't have a title for it... however I know how to go about the legal road on that issue. I am looking for general suggestions and comments that will help me to make a smart buy. I think I can pick it up for as little as $500 and it does run is what I am told. I understand that the carbs need to be synced however. any suggestion and or comments are MOST appreciated.

~NEWB~

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Brand new to the bike world

Postby Fred Camper » Sun May 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Okay, overall a great choice, but check out the frame near the kickstand as that removable section is often the first to show distress. And check out the centerstand, as that too can become no functional due to rust and that means a bigger issue than just the centerstand. They are great bikes and we can help you to restore it to health provided the frame is good.

The fork seals of course can be replaced, but the fork tubes wear and the fork guides in the lowers are not replaceable. Of course Honda built lots of these particularly in '77 and parts are not hard to come by (with the exception of the rear grab rail which were often discarded and are now in short supply with good chrome). They are way too good of a bike to allow them to be scraped. Strong engines that have been know to go over 200K miles.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Brand new to the bike world

Postby dingdong » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:06 am

Go to this site to get some tips from Randakk for buying a used gl1000. NGW

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9486
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”