77 On the road now but eating gas.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
BubbaBill
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

77 On the road now but eating gas.

Postby BubbaBill » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:02 pm

Hey, I just got a 77goldwing 2 months ago. Had a hot wiring issues but got the wires fixed. little soldering goes along way. I did not think I would get it going till spirng but seval late nights up when wife went to visit her mon and dad :) and I got it were it is drivable. I cleaned out the 1100 carbs that was on it and tried to use gasket material to seal the float. Found out, you don't do that. I had to order float bowl gaskets from Randakk and now it is running pretty good.
I tested it out yesterday and dove it to work today. The fuel gauge is showing half empty. that would not be a problem but I only drove it about 35 miles on a full tank. It does run kind of rough. there is no gas leaking anywere.
I think it could be carbs and timing. The problem is, I messed with the electronic dyna points plate when i got the bike because of no spark. I think i got it close to were it should be. I cannot spend much more on it for a few month. I was wondering if you can you a car timing light to check timing. I saw were to use a little conectivity light but don't know if there is a cheap way to make one or get timing light loaner from the auto store. I also got a set of regular points on ebay when I thought the electronic ones were bad. So would i be better using car light to set the electronic timing or go back to the old points.
I did get a set of 77 carb(correct numbers on the for the year) for the 77 bike on ebay cheap but It will be couple months till I can get the to Pete Boody (which from what I have read does a good job) to overhaul and sync them up. So now i have a 1100 carb on the 77 and trying to ride before it gets too cold.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also added pic of my baby. I have the orginal bottom fairings and the back covers but they are not polished and still in the shed.
Attachments

77 GL1000 current project
07 Suzuki s40 - Traded for car when I got married
06 Honda Rebel - traded for S40

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 77 On the road now but eating gas.

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:15 am

You should check to see if the tank is in fact half empty, regardless of what the gauge is showing. If the gauge is not reading correctly, you might need a 7 volt regulator, a common failure item. If this is the case, the temperature gauge will also be reading incorrectly.

BubbaBill

Postby BubbaBill » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:29 am

I checked the 7 volt regulator earlier when I though the temp gauge was not working. I checked with ohm meter and it was putting out 7 volts. I found the temp gauge was not working because it was not connected and had fix the connection when I pulled the carbs. now the temp gauge works. The fan comes on when it gets near the end of the fat white part on temp guage and then goes back to the half way point.
Yesterday I tried to fill up and it took 1.6 gallon of gas so it is getting about 21 mpg.
I did find out what the glass timing cover was for. I tried to set the timing with the automobile timing light. hooked it on the spark plug one and cranked the motor. got a little oil all over me and the light but set the timing and it seems to run a little better. wanting to die at low rpms. 2000-1000.
I don't know if the reset of the issues is carb tuning.

BubbaBill

Postby BubbaBill » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Just filled up on my lunch drive and the gauge showed 1/2 tank and put in 1.6 gal. looks like still gettting about 20 mpg.

wilf

Postby wilf » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:27 pm

Sounds like its flooding if it runs okay at higher reves but **** at low revs. float set wrong or bad floats valves or bad orings
Wilf

78AzWing
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 UnDressed and Progressively Weber Carbureted

Postby 78AzWing » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:27 am

Could also be crud under the screen below the float valve.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons
For thee are Krunchie and taste goode with Ketchup!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”