GL1000 Starting problem

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
clarkekw
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 Goldwing

GL1000 Starting problem

Postby clarkekw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:23 am

My '79 GL1000 has decided to not start and I need help diagnosing the problem.
I replaced the solenoid and cross checked the terminals to see if the starter will turn over as it did before the change, no dice.
I hesitate to take the starter out to bench test it, but if I have to I will. Are there any other areas to check besides the obvious fuses and battery, which are all fine? As far as I can tell with a meter the wiring has continuity to all connections and a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything shorting to ground.
Will this year and type of motor have problems with the starter locking up and engaged? I haven't tried to rock it in gear or done the old 'hill start method' yet. I figure it's always best to ask someone that may have had the same problem before.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
KC
Attachments

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: GL1000 Starting problem

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:57 pm

clarkekw wrote:My '79 GL1000 has decided to not start and I need help diagnosing the problem.
I replaced the solenoid and cross checked the terminals to see if the starter will turn over as it did before the change, no dice.
I hesitate to take the starter out to bench test it, but if I have to I will.

Lets get this straight first. Did the starter turn the engine over before you replaced the solenoid? If so, why did you replace the solenoid?

Are you getting power to the solenoid when you press the button in the first place? (Does the solenoid click?). If so, go to the next bit. If not, it could be a problem with the starter button (happens frequently), clutch switch, neutral switch, diodes.

Have you tried a direct connection to the starter? ie. use a separate battery, connect the negative to the frame and touch the positive to the live terminal on the starter motor.

If you have a meter, check that you are getting power to the starter live terminal when you press the button. If you don't have a meter you could utilise a 12v light bulb. Also check you have power across the solenoid terminals when the button is pressed.

Oh, and don't laugh 'cos we've all done it: the RUN switch is in the RUN position, Yes?
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

clarkekw
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 Goldwing

Re: GL1000 Starting problem

Postby clarkekw » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:11 pm

I know what you mean, I've forgotten to check the kill switch three or four times, so what you said made me laugh at myself again, but not this time. I checked it first, for once.
The starter worked just before the solenoid quit, it stopped clicking. Changing the solenoid has returned the click when the start button is pressed so I'll go on to try the starter with a seperate battery, thanks.
I have an OHM and volt meter and haven't checked the starter button yet, so thanks for that, I never had trouble with that on my prervious bikes.
You've been a great help my friend!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”