Fuel in Oil!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
sbcstgrd
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Fuel in Oil!

Postby sbcstgrd » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:46 am

New here,

Just recently purchased an old '78 for not much.
Slowly starting to get her in good running condition, but when I went to change the oil, It was really thinned out and smelled like it had gas mixed in with it. I drained around 2 gallons out of the plug before it stopped.

Does anyone know what the culprit may be? May there be something major wrong in the engine? I listened to the bike run for a good 10 minutes before I bought it so I know that it cranked and ran then.

Thanks,
STU

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Fuel in Oil!

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Are you turning the fuel petcock off when you park the bike? The most common culprit is leaky needle valves in the carbs. When parked, the fuel leaks down into the cylinders, and from there into the crankcase. Turning the fuel petcock off when you park is the easiest way to fix it.

If the you ARE turning it off when parked, then you might want to check to make sure the petcock is not leaking when it is turned off.

sbcstgrd

Postby sbcstgrd » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:31 pm

Ok, so i drained the oil and filled it back up with fresh oil.

Got a new battery - old one was not holding charge.

Attempted to crank it. It would turn over but not fire, plugs were getting juice I checked them while turning it over.

It backfired fierce out of the top of the intake, excess gas caught fire and burned a little while.

It looked to me that there was WAY too much fuel getting dumped into that little area in the middle of the carb sets. I don't know how much there should be but it was building up to at least a half inch of fuel in there. I am going to start reading up more on it, I am at a sticking point as to my current knowledge on these bike. My 1976 model I had a few years ago didn't have fuel/carb issues so I never delved into it much.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Sounds for sure then like you've got a valve stuck open in one of the carbs. You can try a can of Seafoam in a tank of gas, and see if it will free things up, but if not, you might be looking to pull the carbs and clean them out.

sbcstgrd

Postby sbcstgrd » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Im pretty sure it has to do something with the carbs. I pulled them off this evening and just did a quick inspection. There is a lot of built up gunk in there. I will be getting a manual and doing a complete Carb cleaning/overhaul when I get back from my trip. I don't want to get to into it without something to guide me through this evolution.

sbcstgrd

Postby sbcstgrd » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:22 pm

Well, This morning I removed the carbs and went through them as best as I could without having a complete overhaul kit. Cleaned all the nasty gunk out of every crack and opening. I reassembled the rack and mounted it back on the bike, unfortunately the same issue came up again. During the take down of the carbs two of them had the float one way while the other two were different. I made the wrong choice in rebuilding them. I looked online and found out that I installed the floats upside down. SO i pulled them back off and put them on correctly.

She fired up on the first try. went immediately into an idle and ran without goosing the gas. YAY!

I put some of that Seafoam stuff in the system and will run it a while and drain all the fluids.

Thanks for the help in pointing me the right direction.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”