vacuum leak?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
deerhunter80
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000

vacuum leak?

Postby deerhunter80 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:06 pm

i just rebuilt my carbs and air cutoff valve on my '78 Wing, im having trouble synching to the #3carb. when i get the first 3 carbs synched in, the #3 goes down to "late ignition timing". the bike is sitting at 3000 RPM @ idle. ive tried to lower the idle by adjusting down on the idle screw, but to no avail. finally i was told that it sounded like an intake leak. ive checked my timing belts yesterday and seen that they r in fact in time. ive checked my electronic ignition also and it was just right. i sprayed carb cleaner on my boots and carbs and when i did it to the #3 it idled down to 900 RPM and died. any idea what i have gotten myself into here? i thought spraying carb cleaner on a leak would raise the RPM? never had one lower it and kill it

icemonster
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1000 goldwing

Re: vacuum leak?

Postby icemonster » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:16 am

if you was spraying WD40 on de carb you will notice that the iddle will even rise more. you have a vacuum leak. or it is the hose, the O ring beneath the intake tube, ore the big black rubber that connects the carb and the intake tube. just go that way and you will find it.

Ice

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”