Found a Seat!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Found a Seat!

Postby bluec10 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:00 am

Bought a '79 GL three weeks ago and I've been working hard to get it on the road. It needed a seat - the one it came with was ripped and was a horrible looking old aftermarket touring seat. I've been scouring the web and e-bay since I bought the bike and the good seats I found were around $200 or more. Lost the bid on one and just haven't been happy with others.

Last week I went to my favorite bike parts store. It is really old-school with used bike parts stacked everywhere - almost like a museum. There isn't a computer in the building because the older gentleman who runs the place does everything on note paper and by phone. I bought some brake pads and as I was walking out I glanced at the wall of used bike seats that he had at the front of his store. I'd been staring at Goldwing seats on e-bay for a few weeks, so the '79 Goldwing seat that I saw on the shelf just jumped out at me. The seat is just about perfect and I got it for a very reasonable price.

The web makes rebuilding an old bike a lot easier, but it is fun to find something locally after unsuccessfully searching the North America-wide market. Now, if I could only find a set of '79 Goldwing mufflers...

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”