GL 1 - Floodin


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:13 pm



just bought my 1st Goldwing it has been settin up 4 a cpl yrs it will start the 1st time ya try 2 start it butt it spits & smokes smells like pure gas it will not idle ya have 2 keep it runnin once it goes dead it willnot start again for 30 or 40 mins has 2 b flooded have tried a few things still same thing any help wld b very thankful like i said its my 1st Goldwing so i dont no much about em ty



User avatar
keithg64
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Geneseo, IL
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby keithg64 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Could be a couple of things. Bikes and carbs hate to be sat any length of time. Could be bad gas and or the orficies in the carbs are so small it doenst take long to get then pluged up with bad gas. If you havent already, change out old gas and put in new with a half a bottle of seafoam and see how that works. In a worst case carbs may need to be taken out and cleaned.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:33 pm

there has been a bottle of seafoam run through it & a tank after that 1 the carbs have been took off & cleaned when i took em off cyls 3 & 4 under the 90 degree intakes was FULL of gas changed plugs when i put the carbs back on the guy that cleaned em told me 2 start cuttin the gas off every time i get off of it so he set the mix settin screws at 1&half open i started it started 1t time i hit the button still spit & smoked wld not idle i run it a while got ill cut the gas off wif it runnin & when i did it started runnin very smooth wld idle I got off of it backed up against my trk said aint this a B____ when it run out of gas it went dead told him about it he told m 2 close them screws a half turn i did started 1st time spit & smoked Im lost im new on this site i didnt no i had a reply & i ty

User avatar
RoadRogue
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Castlegar BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:21 am

sounds to me like your floats are hanging open and flooding the engine. you can fiddle all you want with other settings but if its getting too much fuel because of the floats not shutting of the supply when they should you wont get anywhere.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2863
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby dingdong » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:37 am

A couple of possibilities here. 1: floats are sticking or way out of adjustment. The floats have to be set perfect on these bikes. 2: The float valves are bad and not sealing properly. I vote for the float valves being bad. If you had these carbs "cleaned only" and no new rubber seals and o-rings it's probably not going to ever work properly. Put the idle screws back to factory specs. Has nothing to do with your problem. Bite the bullet and get a set of carb rebuild kits and do a complete rebuild.
Note: Float valves in aftermarket rebuild kits are known to be defective. You're better off getting Honda OEM float valves.
Edit: The best rebuild kits are from www.randakk.com
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:52 pm

RoadRogue wrote:sounds to me like your floats are hanging open and flooding the engine. you can fiddle all you want with other settings but if its getting too much fuel because of the floats not shutting of the supply when they should you wont get anywhere.


The guy that cleaned em 4 me told me that the floats had been messed wif & he set em 2 where he thought wld b best is there a way 2 tell if that is whats happenin tyvm

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:56 pm

dingdong wrote:A couple of possibilities here. 1: floats are sticking or way out of adjustment. The floats have to be set perfect on these bikes. 2: The float valves are bad and not sealing properly. I vote for the float valves being bad. If you had these carbs "cleaned only" and no new rubber seals and o-rings it's probably not going to ever work properly. Put the idle screws back to factory specs. Has nothing to do with your problem. Bite the bullet and get a set of carb rebuild kits and do a complete rebuild.
Note: Float valves in aftermarket rebuild kits are known to be defective. You're better off getting Honda OEM float valves.
Edit: The best rebuild kits are from http://www.randakk.com


Float valves do u mean needles that is where i was headed butt the honda shop here had 2 order em 30$ each my my lol the site u gave me is not comein up says try again I will keep lookin later on 2 c if that site will open 4 me & tyvm

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2863
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby dingdong » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:36 am

The rubber tipped valves that the floats open and close. If your mechanic eyeballed the float adjustment they're not set right. Floats have to be exact. As in perfect.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old Fogey
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:09 am
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000
Contact:

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby Old Fogey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:55 pm

As has been said, Randakk is the man! Here's your homework for this evening! http://www.randakks.com/TechTip15.htm

When you have finished reading and implementing all that, there are only another 38 fueling tips to read. :o
The Goldwing is one of the most reliable bikes out there but the carbs are their Achilles heel. They HAVE to be right, not just near enough, particularly the float levels and the idle circuits, or the engine will never run right.

Oh yeah. If it's been flooding as bad as it seems, get your oil changed before you ruin the bearings. Also be aware that you run the risk of bending rod(s) due to flooding. ALWAYS turn off the petcock when stopped, that's what it's there for!
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 pm

dingdong wrote:The rubber tipped valves that the floats open and close. If your mechanic eyeballed the float adjustment they're not set right. Floats have to be exact. As in perfect.


I got ya ty I think im gonna get me a complete rebuild kit

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Old Fogey wrote:As has been said, Randakk is the man! Here's your homework for this evening! http://www.randakks.com/TechTip15.htm

When you have finished reading and implementing all that, there are only another 38 fueling tips to read. :o
The Goldwing is one of the most reliable bikes out there but the carbs are their Achilles heel. They HAVE to be right, not just near enough, particularly the float levels and the idle circuits, or the engine will never run right.

Oh yeah. If it's been flooding as bad as it seems, get your oil changed before you ruin the bearings. Also be aware that you run the risk of bending rod(s) due to flooding. ALWAYS turn off the petcock when stopped, that's what it's there for!


Very interestin ty I think im gonna get me a complete rebuild kit

User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1152
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby Fred Camper » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:10 pm

Good advice above, the floats must seal completely and the height needs to be very precise. Since the carbs have been apart, good chance they may be difficult to fix as stuff gets broken by mechanics not used to these carbs. Bet of Luck, you cannot go wrong with Randakk's kit and video.

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:42 am

Fred Camper wrote:Good advice above, the floats must seal completely and the height needs to be very precise. Since the carbs have been apart, good chance they may be difficult to fix as stuff gets broken by mechanics not used to these carbs. Bet of Luck, you cannot go wrong with Randakk's kit and video.


I have looked at this Carb rebuild kit But I dont see in the kit the needles & seats or that is what i call em in tthe kit am i missin em or do I have 2 buy them also that is what im told i really nead i done took the carbs off 1st 1 more time is all i wanna do lol

Old Fogey
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:09 am
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000
Contact:

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Re-read the Randakk link I sent you. Item 13.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:54 am

Old Fogey wrote:Re-read the Randakk link I sent you. Item 13.


I quit readin at 11 & was gonna get back 2 that had a family outin 2 go 2 Ty again

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:13 pm

tommydog wrote:
Old Fogey wrote:Re-read the Randakk link I sent you. Item 13.


I quit readin at 11 & was gonna get back 2 that had a family outin 2 go 2 Ty again




The guy workin on my Carb. thinks he has found the trouble im waitin on parts so i will let ya no if that is it The parts r a --- Plenum Gasket----Carb-to-Plenum Special FUEL Seals----Carb-to-Plenum AIR O-rings TY all 4 the help

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:55 am

I been ridein the bike this mornin its still spittin a lil but it runs good & idles good as usual i have found a few other problems but it is runnin & i ty all 4 the help

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 am

I have took them off again & my buddy replaced the plemium how ever ya spell it & sum other o-ring or plug not sure he said they was bad it run good 4 a while its startin 2 spit a lil & backfires just about everytime ya downshiftin & still burns 2 much gas I jus received the complet kit from Randakks hes gonna try it again when i 1st posted on here about this I found a page sum where that told me how 2 take the Carbs off step by step & I needed that lol I have took em off twice & got 2 do it again & i wld really like 2 look at that page again b 4 i do it BUTT I cant find it no where any 1 no where there is a page like that let me no plz & ty u all 4 the help

User avatar
JellyBelly
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:39 am
Location: Southaven, MS
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie GL1500
1978 GL1000 cafe racer (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1976 GL1000 (parting out)
1985 KZ550 (sold)
2006 CFMoto V5 (sold)
Contact:

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby JellyBelly » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:49 am

Randakks kit is the best way to go. When I got my 78 it did exactly as you were describing. I also had the additional problem of my reserve fuel lines being rusted to completely blocked.

Follow the video exactly (especially the float setting) and you should be good to go.
I love my wings (both Hot and Gold) - check out my blog @ http://wingthing1000.blogspot.com/

Former 76, 77, and 78 GL1000 owner...Upgraded to a Chromed out Valkyrie

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby tommydog » Sat May 19, 2012 9:12 am

Got a kit installed & its runnin fine ty all

User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1152
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: GL 1 - Floodin

Postby Fred Camper » Sat May 19, 2012 11:45 am

Good to hear, Ty for the followup.




Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests