Flooding the engine

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
jazza
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Flooding the engine

Postby jazza » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Ok I posted about my weird fuel issue and have some more clues that I hope can help me fix it.

I just cleaned out the fuel tank and fuel lines...removed a lot of rust. The reserve line was totally blocked. But now both lines are flowing well.

The reason I did this was because the engine kept wanting to die and I thought it wasn't getting enough gas. It actually would run good on Reserve but then want to die so I would switch the petcock to on...but then have to switch back to reserve when it would die again.

Long story short I can see what is happening...when the petcock is on 'off' the engine runs...until it needs more gas...so I turn to 'on' (or reserve now that the reserve line is unblocked) and it floods the engine...if I turn it to 'on' and then quickly to 'off', enough gas goes through without flooding the engine.

So what is going on...why is the engine flooding when there is gas flow from the 'on' or 'res' position.?

The engine runs fine when the petcock is 'off' until it runs out of gas after a few minutes.. When the fuel gets low and I open up the fuel line I have to switch the petcock to off again and it will run for a while again.

Where should I begin...I guess something that is regulating the flow?

The engine responds to the throttle fine so I know that's not sticking.

I also have oil getting into the engine...but that is another issue to figure out later. I have (a lot) smoke blowing out everywhere when the engine is running...this only happens if it's sitting up for a few days I think...

Last edited by jazza on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1978 Wing Nut in a 2011 type of world!

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Flooding the engine

Postby scotterichmond » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:39 pm

I know this is NOT what you are wanting to hear, but........

You are going to have to remove the carbs and over haul them.
do it right, read the info here http://randakks.com/TechTips.htm#AA
don't try to cut corners buy the kits from randakk too ! He is the best and a guru.

jazza

Postby jazza » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess that is what I need to do then. Was hoping it would be something simpler.

I bought this bike knowing I would need to put some work into it...so that's not a problem...just need to make sure I do it right. This is my project bike. something to work on an hand down to my son in another 16 years...he's 2 now :-)

Thanks for the link.

Will overhauling the carbs help with my oil issue? Or is this something I should consider looking at fixing at the same time?
--yep I'm a newbie
Last edited by jazza on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:33 pm

Read and read, then read some more.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Yes, the 'flooding' carbs are the route the gas is using to get into the oil. Fixing them will cure this problem at the same time. Do NOT run the bike with that contaminated oil. It's lubricating capabilities are totally shot, and you risk a fire or worse. The least problem might be blown engine seals from an overfilled crankcase.

Hoping to save you some real headaches.

Ron in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

jazza

Postby jazza » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks Ron in Mi. Appreciate it. I'll be rebuilding the carbs and trying to get this classic on the road again soon.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”