Oil Leak


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Oil Leak

Postby tommydog » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:08 pm



Well i got the Carb almost good 2 go now i have a oil leak & ( i dont no what this covers ) behind & under the fuel pump theres a cover wif 4 bolts n it. It appears 2 me that the leak is comein out of the head of the top right bolt lookin at it. What does that cover & what wld ya suggest TY all



tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: Oil Leak

Postby tommydog » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:05 am

As bad as I hate 2 say it this site is the only place I no 2 get help wif this bike I dont no nuttin about a Goldwing. Did I not describe the trouble enough about this leak ty again

User avatar
thrasherg
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am
Location: Plano, TX
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Oil Leak

Postby thrasherg » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:33 am

be patient, I don't have your model so I can't go look for the plate and tell you what is behind it, but I am sure someone will give you an answer soon.

Gary

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: Oil Leak

Postby tommydog » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:59 pm

1979 GL1000

cover here is a picture ..any help would be appreciated
Attachments
cover
cover

User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Oil Leak

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Looks like you have the area cleaned up, so you need to start with it clean then take a 5 mile ride around town. That should get it dripping or at least weeping so that you know the exact location of the drip.

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: Oil Leak

Postby tommydog » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:13 pm

it is leakin from the top right bolt looks like it is comein from around the head of the bolt i tightened it up a lil afraid 2 go any more wif it

User avatar
thrasherg
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am
Location: Plano, TX
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Oil Leak

Postby thrasherg » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Perhaps there are suppose to be copper washers on each bolt and if they are missing it could cause a leak? I am only guessing as I do not have this model wing and have no idea what is behind the plate.

Gary

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: Oil Leak

Postby tommydog » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:41 pm

TY Gary ill check that out

User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Oil Leak

Postby Fred Camper » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:19 am

Gary is correct that screw threads are very difficult to seal and a copper or seal washer (used on oil pans today) are the common methods. If someone looses the seal, and uses a regular washer, it is highly probable to leak. So you are on the right track to find the problem thanks to Gary.

kirbb9
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Columbia Tn USA
Motorcycle: 66 300 Dream
77 & 78 GL1000's
06 ST 1300

Re: Oil Leak

Postby kirbb9 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:15 am

That cover has just a gasket behind it. Replace it and that should solve the problem.
There are no sealing washers for the bolts. Check the suspect bolt to make sure you don't
have a stripped thread or bolt.

Brady

kirbb9
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Columbia Tn USA
Motorcycle: 66 300 Dream
77 & 78 GL1000's
06 ST 1300

Re: Oil Leak

Postby kirbb9 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:18 am

There is a gasket under that cover. Loosen the four bolts, nothing will fall out.
Replace the gasket and that should solve the problem. The bolts do not have a
sealing washer.

Brady

User avatar
scotterichmond
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: Marblemount,wa
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Oil Leak

Postby scotterichmond » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 am

Behind that cover , is that not where the screen is?
If it is , he should check/clean the screen while the cover is off.

kirbb9
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Columbia Tn USA
Motorcycle: 66 300 Dream
77 & 78 GL1000's
06 ST 1300

Re: Oil Leak

Postby kirbb9 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:33 pm

No, the screen is lower and to the front of the engine. It is a pain to get at, you have to
work around the right frame member. This cover comes off easily and has a gear to drive
the drive shaft.

Brady

User avatar
scotterichmond
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: Marblemount,wa
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Oil Leak

Postby scotterichmond » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:33 pm

kirbb9,
thanks for the info. thankfully I have never had to go into the engine on mine.

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: Oil Leak

Postby tommydog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:05 pm

kirbb9 wrote:That cover has just a gasket behind it. Replace it and that should solve the problem.
There are no sealing washers for the bolts. Check the suspect bolt to make sure you don't
have a stripped thread or bolt.

Brady

K Ill do that & i tyvm 4 the info This is my 1st Goldwing I bought it helpin a friend out layed off work it was his fathers he has past & the bike set about a ys & a half & thought idd give it a try this site has been very helpful ty again

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: Oil Leak

Postby tommydog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:08 pm

kirbb9 wrote:No, the screen is lower and to the front of the engine. It is a pain to get at, you have to
work around the right frame member. This cover comes off easily and has a gear to drive
the drive shaft.

Brady


There will not no oil or anything run out if i take that cover off i take it, Just bein sure just take if off check bolts & replace gasket that correct

User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Oil Leak

Postby Fred Camper » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:11 pm

It is well above the oil level, so you may get drips but no flow as long as the engine is off.

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: Oil Leak

Postby tommydog » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:49 pm

scotterichmond wrote:Behind that cover , is that not where the screen is?
If it is , he should check/clean the screen while the cover is off.


TY 4 the manual site I been tryin 2 download 1 4 a while im not good at this stuff either lol but i got that 1 ty again

User avatar
twostrokes48
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:21 pm
Location: San Antonio,TX
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Re: Oil Leak

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:36 pm

This is just a personal request from me. Don't know about others, but some of us here are really old farts. I don't know about the rest of them, but personally I don't text and I don't know all the shortcuts used in texting. It is difficult enough sometimes trying to figure out what people are asking help with. But when I have to spend a lot of time deciphering and brain energy which I have little of left to figure out the lingo...At first I thought it was just someone that can't type, Then I thought maybe it was someone from a non english speaking country....Then I realize it is texting lingo....As I said, this is just my request. If I am the only one having trouble with this, everyone just keep doing what you are doing and I'll eventually get dragged into the new century.

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: Oil Leak

Postby tommydog » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:28 pm

kirbb9 wrote:There is a gasket under that cover. Loosen the four bolts, nothing will fall out.
Replace the gasket and that should solve the problem. The bolts do not have a
sealing washer.

Brady



Do u no of a site 2 get that gasket TY

kirbb9
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Columbia Tn USA
Motorcycle: 66 300 Dream
77 & 78 GL1000's
06 ST 1300

Re: Oil Leak

Postby kirbb9 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:01 am

I haven't checked, but Bikebandit or Cheapcycleparts if Honda still sells it.
Complete gasket sets are available on EBay.
This is a pretty easy gasket to make yourself. Generally on engine covers the gasket
thickness is critical. It isn't on this cover. Go to the local parts store and they
have the material. A paper punch works good for the holes for the bolts.

Brady

tommydog
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: Union City Tn.
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Re: Oil Leak

Postby tommydog » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:58 pm

kirbb9 wrote:I haven't checked, but Bikebandit or Cheapcycleparts if Honda still sells it.
Complete gasket sets are available on EBay.
This is a pretty easy gasket to make yourself. Generally on engine covers the gasket
thickness is critical. It isn't on this cover. Go to the local parts store and they
have the material. A paper punch works good for the holes for the bolts.

Brady



I ty ill c what i can do

User avatar
FADM Stern GNSF
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1971 GL1000
1982 Cx500C

Re: Oil Leak

Postby FADM Stern GNSF » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:56 pm

twostrokes48 wrote:This is just a personal request from me. Don't know about others, but some of us here are really old farts. I don't know about the rest of them, but personally I don't text and I don't know all the shortcuts used in texting. It is difficult enough sometimes trying to figure out what people are asking help with. But when I have to spend a lot of time deciphering and brain energy which I have little of left to figure out the lingo...At first I thought it was just someone that can't type, Then I thought maybe it was someone from a non english speaking country....Then I realize it is texting lingo....As I said, this is just my request. If I am the only one having trouble with this, everyone just keep doing what you are doing and I'll eventually get dragged into the new century.


I feel you as it drives me nuts as well, but I do know some members use their phones to get on the forum and this "shortcutting" makes it a lot easier for them. So, if its a post from a phone (hope this is) then I understand why, if its not, well i will just leave it at that lol


1979 GL1000
1982CX500C


Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: badandy, Bing [Bot] and 4 guests