Rear wheel on the front?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Greg_the_Trashman
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 Goldwing

Rear wheel on the front?

Postby Greg_the_Trashman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey everyone, I am preparing to put my bike up for the winter, which means it is upgrade time for the old girl. So here is my question, is it possible to run the same size wheel on the front and back of the 76 1000 by re-spoking the front hub to another rim that matches the rear size? I have seen a pic of one of these bikes that had this done, but would there be a lot of changes to the front that would have be done? Or...would there be no need to change anything? I measured the front wheel with the rim and tire, as well as rear rim and tire, they seem to be the same distance across. That leads me to believe that it would be a straight swap since the front hub is still the same, and the size seems match.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Rear wheel on the front?

Postby Fred Camper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:59 pm

You are correct that it has been done, and respoking is the method.

The issue include loosing the center stand, as you must drop the rear of the bike by a like amount to retain reasonable geometry (handling). So that means shorter rear shocks and a new front fender.

I believe you can run a 130 width tire, as there is good fork clearance.

I do not recall if there are issues regarding room for the brake caliper, please follow up on that to be sure. Search for Octane's bike over at NGWclub.com.

Greg_the_Trashman
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 Goldwing

Re: Rear wheel on the front?

Postby Greg_the_Trashman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:40 am

Thank you for the reply, I am glad to hear that it won't be that difficult as this is something I really want to do. Replacing the rear shocks was in my plans as well, I want to install air shocks, so I am relieved to know this. Thanks again =)

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”