Fuel Flow Problem

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
TimKern
Motorcycle: 1996 Suzuki RF900R
1971 Honda CB500 Four
1976 Honda GL1000

Fuel Flow Problem

Postby TimKern » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 pm

My new 1976 GL1000 (barn find -- tank and float bowls were stored empty; new premium is in) runs terribly, though timing is right and compression is good. For instance, it starts on full choke and will then run (poorly) on no choke, but only if I turn the gas OFF as soon as it runs about 30 seconds.

Checked fuel pump output: good. But when I remove the fuel lines from the carbs, no gas flows out of any of them during cranking. When I hook them back up and run the bike, raw gas flows out of... somewhere. I can move the bike short distances by modulating the gas flow with the petcock. Runs best with gas OFF at petcock. Awkward.

How does the cutoff valve work? I don't want to just tear it apart and replace everything; I want to understand it and test it. Vac hose to the valve seems good, and is indeed hooked up. Could this be why no gas comes out of the individual fuel lines when the bike is cranked?

I noticed jet in the fuel intake spigots of the carbs, where the fuel line hooks up (sprayed carb cleaner on them). What are these for? Don't know if it's a problem, but they were exposed, so I shot 'em.

I suspect something's wrong here, rather than the obvious answer (that the bike is haunted). Ideas?

TimKern
Motorcycle: 1996 Suzuki RF900R
1971 Honda CB500 Four
1976 Honda GL1000

Re: Fuel Flow Problem -- solved?

Postby TimKern » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:01 am

Never mind. I hooked everything back up, and it runs like a champ. I don't know what was wrong, so I don't know what I "fixed," but I'm happy. I'm riding.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”