Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
hcmorkel
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 am
Location: Benoni, Johannesburg
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby hcmorkel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:11 am



Hi Is there someone out there that can explain to me where the vacuum advance from the weber connects to the gl1000.



User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:10 am

Does the 1000 use a vacuum advance system? I don't remember any.Just plug the hose.

hcmorkel
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 am
Location: Benoni, Johannesburg
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby hcmorkel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:59 am

virgilmobile wrote:Does the 1000 use a vacuum advance system? I don't remember any.Just plug the hose.


Thanx. I wasn't sure what to do with it. It's my first time working with weber. :D

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:12 am

Electronic ignition,electric fuel pump and carbs are the 3 best mods for the 1000.I do prefer the 4 carb setup when set right,but a single is OK too.

hcmorkel
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 am
Location: Benoni, Johannesburg
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby hcmorkel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:11 am

virgilmobile wrote:Electronic ignition,electric fuel pump and carbs are the 3 best mods for the 1000.I do prefer the 4 carb setup when set right,but a single is OK too.

The reason I want to go for single carb is, I had my bike in for service and I ask them to service the carbs as well. Since it came back, its not running right. Its fine on low refs, but as soon as you go past 5000, it starts stuttering. My feul filter is also drained empty while driving. I tested my feul pump and its fine. There is no rust in my tank. I have been to several other independent workshops and all of them said that its carburation. Do you have any tips on getting this right again?

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:05 am

I'll ask one question.Did it do that before it was "serviced" ?
If not,then the "service"is at fault.
Return it for a do-over(recall,rework,call-back,fix it again) if possible,"they"may have mis-adjusted something.
There should be some kind of warranty on the repairs .

A 4 carb setup can be a bit daunting,but given time and understanding of it's requirements,they preform very well.

If a do-over isn't possible,then you may have to service it yourself.We can help with that if your willing.

User avatar
scotterichmond
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: Marblemount,wa
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby scotterichmond » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:44 am

And what ever you do , or decide, do not get rid of the stock carbs. There are many of us out there that would love to have them. Or you might decide to go "back" someday.

hcmorkel
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 am
Location: Benoni, Johannesburg
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby hcmorkel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:18 pm

virgilmobile wrote:If a do-over isn't possible,then you may have to service it yourself.We can help with that if your willing.

A do-over is not possible, they keep on saying its my feul-pump thats going(BS). It did not do it before the service, it was running fine. I sent it for service because I need to use it for commuting. I would appreciate some help on what to do to fix my bike myself. I have allready downloaded wingadmin's "valve clearance", "Carb setting" and NGW's Point gap adjustment. Where do I start? :shock:

hcmorkel
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 am
Location: Benoni, Johannesburg
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby hcmorkel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 pm

scotterichmond wrote:And what ever you do , or decide, do not get rid of the stock carbs. There are many of us out there that would love to have them. Or you might decide to go "back" someday.

I Will keep that in mind. Thanx

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:42 am

Before you plunge into this , Can you tell us how the bike ran before you had it serviced,and what was serviced at the repair shop?Did they change the spark plugs?air filter?timing belts?Set or replace the points?

Were the carbs removed from the bike and "fixed"?

Knowing how it ran and what was worked on can lead us to why it stutters above 5000rpm.

I will mention 2 things about the gl1000,yes I ran one for 9 years or so.
The fuel filter can appear to have little fuel in it.Mine never stayed full of gas but flowed fuel OK.

2nd ...The points need to be set EXACTLY right.There is the book setting and then the best setting.
I found on my 30 year old bike that I had to "adjust" a little out of specs to achieve the proper timing.
It's called Split Timing. I did a write up about it.. http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... f=3&t=8555 ..It takes a good understanding of the point system and about an hour to do.

This would be MY first test before the carbs.

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby dingdong » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:44 am

Your description does sound like the fuel pump is not pumping fuel at high rpms. Testing at idle won't show a problem while the bike is running at high rpms on the road. You might also try running the bike with the gas cap open. The vent in the cap can get clogged and not let fuel flow properly. Another thing you can do is run some carb cleaner through the carbs. We use a product called Seafoam here but I don't know if you can get it where you are.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

hcmorkel
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 am
Location: Benoni, Johannesburg
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby hcmorkel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:53 am

virgilmobile wrote:Before you plunge into this , Can you tell us how the bike ran before you had it serviced,and what was serviced at the repair shop?Did they change the spark plugs?air filter?timing belts?Set or replace the points?

Were the carbs removed from the bike and "fixed"?

Knowing how it ran and what was worked on can lead us to why it stutters above 5000rpm.

I will mention 2 things about the gl1000,yes I ran one for 9 years or so.
The fuel filter can appear to have little fuel in it.Mine never stayed full of gas but flowed fuel OK.

2nd ...The points need to be set EXACTLY right.There is the book setting and then the best setting.
I found on my 30 year old bike that I had to "adjust" a little out of specs to achieve the proper timing.
It's called Split Timing. I did a write up about it.. http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... f=3&t=8555 ..It takes a good understanding of the point system and about an hour to do.

This would be MY first test before the carbs.

Accourding to them, yes. they changed all filters and plugs. not sure if they ajusted on the points. they removed the carbs to "service" it. My bike ran good (even up to 8000rpm no stuttering) before the service except for it idling at 3000rpm and my choke cable that was broken, but now replaced. my previous feul filter also stayed full of feul. It almost feels like its constantly flooding, if you give a little on the thottle, it runs smoothly, but if you gun the throttle, it starts to stutter. hope this helps

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Good description of the history,it helps.It sounds like basic service.Now , what happened?
Before,it idled at 3000 rpm,but would rev up past 8000 rpm OK.After service it idles OK but won't rev past 5000 rpm under a load without sputtering.(easy throttle is OK)

Well we can eliminate the pump ,it ran OK before the service.I doubt it quit during their repairs.Although we can question the fuel filter.If it is "wrong" it could fuel starve the pump.

You mentioned that it feels like it's flooding...

Step 1... pull a few spark plugs out and look at the tips.If it's flooding (too much gas),the tips will be BLACK.If they are,the carbs need repairs or adjustments.
If the plugs are light brown or white , then it may be fuel starved.Again,a bad fuel filter or carb adjustment.

When you back off the throttle,the demand on the amount of fuel is less.If the filter is a bad one or the wrong type,or the floats set too low,It may provide enough fuel for idle through 4000 rpm but not quite enough for the gas guzzling wide open throttle.

******WARNING******Please use every precaution when fooling with the gas.

Step 2. Considering the filter,personally I would fill the tank full of gas,unhook the line at the pump,Pull the line and filter out to the left side of the bike.Use a catch can and turn on the fuel.It should pour out,not dribble.It should provide as much fuel flow with or without the filter in the line.
Eliminate the fuel supply before getting into the carbs.There is also a test for fuel coming out of the pump.

Where the carbs are concerned,If the floats were mis-adjusted,It could cause flooding or a fuel starved condition.

Let us know what you find with the plugs and fuel flow so we can help further.

******WARNING******Please use every precaution when fooling with the gas.We don't want to read about you in the paper.
Also,This information is just my ideas on what to check.Not necessarily "by the book" and please use your own judgment when checking things over.
Attachments

User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby Fred Camper » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Good advice Virgil, best to check out all the easy stuff first. Seems like there may be an electrical issue at high rpm but that is not really possible due to the different throttle opening per the above.

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Because the 1000 only uses mechanical advance and the reported throttle response,I eliminated the points as the problem.Not that they are not set right,I don't think it's causing the stutter on a load above 5000 rpm.

User avatar
scotterichmond
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: Marblemount,wa
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby scotterichmond » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:45 am

virgilmobile wrote:Because the 1000 only uses mechanical advance and the reported throttle response,I eliminated the points as the problem.Not that they are not set right,I don't think it's causing the stutter on a load above 5000 rpm.


The stutter can be cause by a plugged exhaust, I had the on my 1100 once. worth being sure about .

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Well there are a lot of could be's.I can only guess at the problem by the description...."It ran up to 8000rpm ok before they fixed it".That pretty much leads me to believe that in repairing the high idle problem,they altered the ability to accelerate past 5000rpm.

hcmorkel
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 am
Location: Benoni, Johannesburg
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby hcmorkel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:09 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Well there are a lot of could be's.I can only guess at the problem by the description...."It ran up to 8000rpm ok before they fixed it".That pretty much leads me to believe that in repairing the high idle problem,they altered the ability to accelerate past 5000rpm.

IT could be. Apparently they took yhe carbs apart to replace some o-rings and to have a look at the jets and so on as well. How do I go about to fixing this? I have not yet had a time to look at my plugs as my work hours only permit it on weekends. Your help, and everyone piching in, is very much appreciated. Thanx

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:07 am

I understand about "work" getting in the way of life.
For the sake of argument,let's assume the fuel flow and filter are ok and the engine is flooding or very lean.

I think,with a few wrenches and screwdriver,I pull my carbs off my 1000 for the first time in an hour.
Better leave the rest of the day to finish.
In your case,because they were just repaired,you would be interested only what was repaired.
It will be obvious what screws were removed and what parts were replaced.(little nicks on the metal)
From your description of the acceleration problem,I suspect the floats may have been adjusted wrong.

Carbs are a complex mechanism,but when you have the information on how it's suppose to work,then checking them and calibrating them is relatively easy.
There are many posts about rebuilding carbs.Most of this info is not needed in your case.You only will need to check the floats and slides.I can do a wright-up if you need detailed info.

hcmorkel
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 am
Location: Benoni, Johannesburg
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby hcmorkel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanx V. I would appreciate it. I couldn't find an article on rebuilding your carbs on this site. It will give me and my son something to do on the weekend :D

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:17 am

Here's a bunch of links for your reading pleasure.Post if you run into trouble.
http://www.gl1000.info/Manual.shtml

http://www.goldwingdocs.com/SearchSite. ... earch+Site

http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... f=4&t=8928

The float height is 21mm on the gl1000.Measured from the casting to the bottom of the float while RESTING on the needle valve spring,not compressing it.

Test the slides BEFORE you take them off.Lay the carbs flat on the table,prop open the throttle,use a pencil and gently lift each slide and let it drop.It should not stick.Flip the carbs upside down and repeat.The slides should slide down smooth and return back up.If they do,do not remove them ONE AT A TIME.
If they stick,clean,polish,and wipe dry.Do not use any oil on them.

Here's a PDF file about the 1100 carb cleaning.Look at the "slide section"...filipi.com/ngw/roady/Carb_Overhaul_GL1100.pdf

Hope this helps,but first check that fuel flow.

hcmorkel
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 am
Location: Benoni, Johannesburg
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby hcmorkel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:18 am

virgilmobile wrote:Here's a bunch of links for your reading pleasure.Post if you run into trouble.
http://www.gl1000.info/Manual.shtml

http://www.goldwingdocs.com/SearchSite. ... earch+Site

http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... f=4&t=8928

The float height is 21mm on the gl1000.Measured from the casting to the bottom of the float while RESTING on the needle valve spring,not compressing it.

Test the slides BEFORE you take them off.Lay the carbs flat on the table,prop open the throttle,use a pencil and gently lift each slide and let it drop.It should not stick.Flip the carbs upside down and repeat.The slides should slide down smooth and return back up.If they do,do not remove them ONE AT A TIME.
If they stick,clean,polish,and wipe dry.Do not use any oil on them.

Here's a PDF file about the 1100 carb cleaning.Look at the "slide section"...filipi.com/ngw/roady/Carb_Overhaul_GL1100.pdf

Hope this helps,but first check that fuel flow.

Thanx. Where are these slides located?

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:53 am

The slides are inside the round top cap and extend down into the center of each carb.They are air flow controlled and rise to allow more fuel to the cylinder.

hcmorkel
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 am
Location: Benoni, Johannesburg
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby hcmorkel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:30 am

virgilmobile wrote:The slides are inside the round top cap and extend down into the center of each carb.They are air flow controlled and rise to allow more fuel to the cylinder.

Thanx V. My carbs are off. I couldn't find any pictures on how to set your floats. All say it must be 21mm from the bottom of your float to the chamber rimb. from which part of the float??? My float isn't level with the chamber rimb (my carbs are up-side-down).

User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Vacuum Advance on Weber Carb

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:53 am

[url] NGW Club--Goldwing Forums
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ilit=float[/url]

This link may help, I am sure there are better pictures but I did not find one this morning.




Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo Slurp [Bot] and 1 guest