78 1000 starter whines

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
TadTheTinker
Motorcycle: 76 GL1000 Goldwing
78 GL1000 Goldwing

78 1000 starter whines

Postby TadTheTinker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:45 pm

I think I have burned out a starter or destroyed a sprocket or something. When I try to start the ole' girl I here what sounds like the starter spinning but it isn't engaging with anything. It just whines.

What are my options. I would really like to learn this bike and be able to take care of it myself. But I am not very familiar with the internal workings of the Goldwing.

I also have a 76 Goldwing that will need to be rebuilt from the ground up. If I can use the 78 as a working point, it will give me the confidence to redo the 76.

Any help guys will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tad

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 78 1000 starter whines

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:49 pm

A lot of times, this is caused by the sprag clutch not engaging when the starter is run. This happens due to sludge build up in the crankcase oil. And if that is the cause, it's easy (and cheap) to fix.

Go out and buy a can or two of Seafoam from your nearest NAPA or other automotive store, along with lots of motorcycle oil and a couple of filters.

Change your oil, and pour half a can of Seafoam into the crankcase. Go out and ride for half an hour, come back, change the filter and drain the oil. It will be filthy, as the Seafoam dissolves the sludge and deposits in your crankcase. Re-fill the crankcase with fresh oil, another half a can of Seafoam, and go ride again. Come back, drain the oil again, refill with clean, and change the filter again. If the starter problem was sludge (and chances are that it is), it should have improved markedly. If it's still not perfect, try the Seafoam treatment another couple times.

If you can't get the starter to engage at all, put the Seafoam in, and push-start the bike to get it running, then do the ride around to circulate the Seafoam.

Good luck!

TadTheTinker
Motorcycle: 76 GL1000 Goldwing
78 GL1000 Goldwing

Re: 78 1000 starter whines

Postby TadTheTinker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks Wing Admin, I will have to give this a shot. Right now it won't start at all, the normal way, so I will have to try the push start method.

I was worried that the starter was bad like a worn bendix or other gear in there. Not looking forward to that at all!!

Thanks again, I will let you know how that works for me. Now to go ride in the mud, rain and slick roads... carefully.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”