oil pressure problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
baldgrimsbybiker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD Aspencade.
1980 CB400N

oil pressure problem

Postby baldgrimsbybiker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:12 am

When I try to start the engine from cold the oil pressure warning light takes about 5 seconds to extinguish itself. At first I thought this might be old oil or a damaged oil pressure switch. I gave the engine a full service - new oil and filters and changed the switch for a NEW one. The problem still remains and I don`t understand why. The funny thing is that when the engine is hot - and I mean very hot - the light works normally . In other words the light goes out after an extremely short time ( less than one turn of the engine ) where I would expect the light to remain on at slow tick over speeds. This problem has only showed itself since the engine blew a head gasket and I was forced to ride twenty miles home ( stopping half way for the engine to cool down ). There are NO knocking sounds from the engine at all except while the oil light goes out - then the engine sounds absolutely perfect - smooth as silk and very quiet. Before any one suggest it - the oil level is correct and the pressure shows 65+ psi at normal engine speeds. It`s just that the oil seems to take a long time to "lift" to the switch from cold .

Last edited by baldgrimsbybiker on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: oil pressure problem

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:41 am

OK, first - I see you're from Grimsby - I only know of one Grimsby, and that's in Ontario. If that's where you are, then is this happening when the weather is warm as well, or only now in the dead of winter?

Next: This can be a symptom of a couple of things. The first is running with a single-weight oil, like an SAE30 or SAE40 weight oil. This oil will be extremely thick at lower temperatures, and can take some time to move and get through the filter, screen and to the oil pressure sensor.

I'm assuming you have changed the oil filter, and reassembled it correctly, with the spring and washer.

The last thing I would mention is the oil screen. This is immediately before the oil pump, and if it is clogged, will restrict oil flow into the oil pump pickup, which will cause low oil pressure. If you have changed the oil filter and oil, using correct oil weight, that is the next thing I would check. If you download the Honda Service manual, you will see the procedure for cleaning it beginning on page 9-10.

baldgrimsbybiker
1980 CB400N

Postby baldgrimsbybiker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:01 am

The Grimsby I am from is in ENGLAND and the oil I use is multigrade 5-40W, which I believe is the correct grade . I didn`t know about the oil screen and will check it as soon as possible and will get back to you. Thanks for the advice. I have tried to dowload the service manual from this site but it will not download correctly. Both the service manuals and the specific manual for the GL1100Aspencade refuse to download more than a third - any suggestions??

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:24 am

Two suggestions:

- Don't just "click" on the link and attempt to open it in your browser. Right click it and select "save file as" or "save link as", to download the file

- If that doesn't work, try a download manager like Free Download Manager

baldgrimsbybiker
1980 CB400N

Postby baldgrimsbybiker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:36 am

I have had a good look round the internet for some advice and most of the consensus is that I have got a sludge problem. Looks like that when the engine overheated and took out the head gasket it dislodged some sludge at the same time. With this in mind I used a flushing oil , filled the sump with a good DIESEL engine oil ( because of the high detergent content ) rode the bike for a hundred miles or so then drained the mixture and refilled with good 10W40W oil. Now when the engine is cold the oil light goes out straight away and everything is back to normal.You just don`t know how relieved I am that there was nothing more serious amiss.
Last edited by baldgrimsbybiker on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 pm

I do this as a matter of course every fall before putting my bike away for the winter. Over here we have a fabulous product called Seafoam. I will change my oil, put half a can of Seafoam into the crankcase, then go ride for 30-40 miles. When I get back I immediately drain the oil - it comes out almost gray-black in color, with all the sludge and deposits dissolved in it that the Seafoam has loosened. I then refill with fresh oil, crank the engine with the kill switch off to circulate the fresh oil throughout the engine without actually starting it, then put the bike away.

Glad to hear your problem is solved!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”