timing cylinder heads off engine.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
rileysaurus
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100a Aspencade

timing cylinder heads off engine.

Postby rileysaurus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:48 pm

So Im butthole deep in my gl1100 engine rebuild and about ready to start reassembly, but before I pick up too much steam there has been an issue which I cant seem to figure out:Timing my cylinder heads with the rest of the engine. When I took the engine apart the pistons were seized into the cylinders, therefore making it impossible to put the engine at top dead center before disassembly. Now that everything is fixed up and spinning freely, i can get the engine at tdc but the heads, which havent been attached to the engine since november, are still pushing the valves at whatever placement they were at when I pulled them off. Can it be as simple as a major valve adjustment? Can I turn the cam on the head to tdc? Or am I totally screwed?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: timing cylinder heads off engine.

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:45 pm

rileysaurus wrote:So Im butthole deep in my gl1100 engine rebuild and about ready to start reassembly, but before I pick up too much steam there has been an issue which I cant seem to figure out:Timing my cylinder heads with the rest of the engine. When I took the engine apart the pistons were seized into the cylinders, therefore making it impossible to put the engine at top dead center before disassembly. Now that everything is fixed up and spinning freely, i can get the engine at tdc but the heads, which havent been attached to the engine since november, are still pushing the valves at whatever placement they were at when I pulled them off. Can it be as simple as a major valve adjustment? Can I turn the cam on the head to tdc? Or am I totally screwed?

Before installing the heads, turn the crank to #1 cylinder TDC, then rotate the crankshaft 90 degrees clockwise. This should position the pistons so that there will be no valve interference when installing the heads. The cams should be at the position they would be at TDC (with the cam pulleys installed on the shafts they will show "UP" correctly). Once the heads are installed, and verifying the cams are at TDC, the crank can be rotated back to TDC and belts installed.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”