Getting a "click" from the solenoid

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Carbide
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Getting a "click" from the solenoid

Postby Carbide » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:36 pm

SO after a few weeks of the Goldwing of sitting. I had the negative cable disconnected. I went out . Reconnected the cable and tried to fire it up. I got about two very slow revolutions then nothing but a click. I figured the battery needed a good deep charge . I did that and had the battery tested for CCA and it's fine. But I'm getting nothing but a click when I try to start it . If I were to short across the solenoid, would that send a direct power to the starter? (like the old fords had)... I tried that and got nothing. Please advise?

Respectfully,
Carbide (Tennessee)

P.S.
I have been noticing that the starter would "drag" slow sometimes when I'd start after running it at normal temp. Could I be needing a stater? I just assumed that it was a simple clearance adjustment on the valves causing it to "drag" under running temp conditions.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Getting a "click" from the solenoid

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:45 pm

Quick test...Use a volt meter...attach the ground to the engine case(not the battery) and the positive wire to the starter post ,right on the threaded post of the starter.
Turn on the key and push the start button.If the volts are above 11 volts,the starter is dead.If there is no volts or very low,clean the ground cable at the engine.
This is assuming that your test by jumping the solenoid did not crank the motor(which is a good test).
Yes,If I go to my 1100 or 1200 Even without the key on,I can stick a screwdriver across the solenoid post and crank the motor.
It really sounds like the starter died,Usually just a days work to restore it.

Carbide
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Getting a "click" from the solenoid

Postby Carbide » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks for the quick response.. I'll do that !
I think the starter is gone too, but I just wanted some other opinions. I'll let you know the outcome of this . Thanks again!

Respectfully,
Carbide

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”