Newbie 1980 GW Restoration List Recommendations

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Newbie 1980 GW Restoration List Recommendations

Postby ldvteam » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Please Help.

I just bought a 1980 1100 that has not been driven for 9 years and has rust in the gas tank. I could not resist because it looks so clean on the outside and only has 12k miles. I am not much of a mechanic for the big repairs so I plan on taking it to a mechanic and have him get it road worthy. I hate to just say "make it run" as I have not had time to research all the "issues". I would like it to be dependable enough to take on long weekend trips without worry.

Can you help me put together a list of what you would ask your mechanic to do if you were me. Here is what I have so far...

Change oil and all fluids
New filters
New grease in wheels
Check all lights
New Tires
New Spark Plugs
Clean/Sync Carburetors
All things on state vehicle inspection
Fix cigarette lighter
Replace worn rubber/hoses
Thanks a bunch for any help!

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Newbie 1980 GW Restoration List Recommendations

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:13 am

Number one on the list: replace timing belts!!

You can repack the wheel bearings with grease, but in order to do that, you have to pull the bearings, which will damage them - so if you're going to do that, just replace them with some sealed bearings (you can see that in the How-To Articles).

The gas tank is going to have to come out and get cleaned of rust, and you might want to check to see what else downstream might be contaminated (petcock, hoses, pump, and especially carburetors).

Rebuilding the brake calipers and master cylinders will go a long way towards improving brake function, and replacing the rubber brake lines with braided stainless lines will improve the brake function and feel immensely.

Hope that's a start for you!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”