82 Aspy Air Ride

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jeremccurdy
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A
Roketa Bali 250 AKA The lane splitter
1982 Urban Express MU50 Matched pair
1982 GL1100A

82 Aspy Air Ride

Postby jeremccurdy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 pm

I have an 82 Aspencade with the on board air compressor. Air is leaking from my rear shocks into the front forks but not out of the system. I just eventually end up with the same amount of pressure front and rear. I assume the seals in my compressor or check valve are going bad. I want to disconnect my front forks from the compressor and install a schrader valve to manually control the front fork air pressure. Where can I find a valve that will work for this.

Thanks in Advance

Jesus Christ never taught that answering His call was a matter of convenience. It may well cost your life.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 82 Aspy Air Ride

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:14 pm

jeremccurdy wrote:I have an 82 Aspencade with the on board air compressor. Air is leaking from my rear shocks into the front forks but not out of the system. I just eventually end up with the same amount of pressure front and rear. I assume the seals in my compressor or check valve are going bad. I want to disconnect my front forks from the compressor and install a schrader valve to manually control the front fork air pressure. Where can I find a valve that will work for this.

Thanks in Advance

You've got a bad seal in the tank-mounted control valve that directs compressor pressure to either the front or rear shocks. You might want to take it apart and have a quick look - it could be as simple as replacing an O-ring to fix.

jeremccurdy
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A
Roketa Bali 250 AKA The lane splitter
1982 Urban Express MU50 Matched pair
1982 GL1100A

Re: 82 Aspy Air Ride

Postby jeremccurdy » Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Sorry to take so long on a reply. I took the selector valve apart and discovered that the internals for the Front Selector were boogered. Somehow, the internal sleeve that houses the schrader valve for the Front Forks under the selector switch had cracked and was bleeding air. I disconnected the front forks from the compressor line. I took the schrader valve from the bottom of the descant tank and put it in the front fork where the compressor line had been attached. I took the front fork compressor line and attached it to the opening left on the descant tank. Now, I have manual control of the front forks through the schrader valve, and my rear shocks are still controlled by the compressor.
Jesus Christ never taught that answering His call was a matter of convenience. It may well cost your life.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”