1982 naked?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

1982 naked?

Postby goldminerusa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:44 pm

New to the site and new to goldwings. Recently was given a 1982 1100, 62xxx miles, with no factory body panels, fairing, trunks, bags, lowers, nothing. Was told it was sold "naked", and thats ok. Bike hasn`t been maintained, let alone properly. Got new throttle cables from local honda dealer and the forward cable where it mounts to grip is threaded, but the grip isn`t, suggestions please? Also the starter motor runs but intermittently engages/disengages, is this the gear/spring not doing its thing? Do i HAVE to remove the engine to replace the starter? Are new parts available? That said what parts are available from honda for this year/model, like rear air shocks, tach cable, rear turn lamps lens, brake calipers, brakelines, forkseals/dust covers, carb parts, etc? Bike runs, but not good. Plan on starting the tune-up with new timing belt / belts? Whats the best service manual for these early models? Factory or Clymer? And 1 last thing, I`m 6`6" tall, are forward controls available for this and other Wings? Any and all help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1982 naked?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:41 am

goldminerusa wrote:New to the site and new to goldwings. Recently was given a 1982 1100, 62xxx miles, with no factory body panels, fairing, trunks, bags, lowers, nothing. Was told it was sold "naked", and thats ok. Bike hasn`t been maintained, let alone properly. Got new throttle cables from local honda dealer and the forward cable where it mounts to grip is threaded, but the grip isn`t, suggestions please? Also the starter motor runs but intermittently engages/disengages, is this the gear/spring not doing its thing? Do i HAVE to remove the engine to replace the starter? Are new parts available? That said what parts are available from honda for this year/model, like rear air shocks, tach cable, rear turn lamps lens, brake calipers, brakelines, forkseals/dust covers, carb parts, etc? Bike runs, but not good. Plan on starting the tune-up with new timing belt / belts? Whats the best service manual for these early models? Factory or Clymer? And 1 last thing, I`m 6`6" tall, are forward controls available for this and other Wings? Any and all help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks

The grip where the throttle cables thread into is just plastic, and if the nut that secures the cable runner into the grip is tightened too much, it very easily strips the threads out of the plastic. There are several products around that will fix this - they all work more or less the same way, by chemically melting the plastic, and allowing it to cure around the bolt/threads. Look for PlastiFix.

For the starter motor, look at the Seafoam cure, that could be your problem. If it is the starter, it can be removed without removing the engine, and new starters are available.

There are lots of new parts available, not all from Honda - some from aftermarket suppliers.

Oh, and go with the factory Honda service manual.

goldminerusa

Postby goldminerusa » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks for the info on the starter and throttle grip fix. I just read the seafoam article before getting the e/mail, 2 oil and 1 filter change and the oil still comes out black as night. I think the previous owners thought it was a `49 chevy! Hope i can contribute back someday.

nhegge
Motorcycle: 1982 ASPENCADE
1978 GL1000
1987 Rebel
1981 CM 400

Postby nhegge » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:04 am

Pictures , how it is now and along the journey . Never can tell what other eyes might see that can save you . Didn't read where you changed the timing belts , might be a good Idea they aint bad to do . OOOoooops just reread you are doing belts . There's a discussion somewhere on here that gives Napa and Gator part numbers and gives them thumbs up , don't go to Saber cycle for parts til you've read a bit as they get many thumbs down . Enjoy .
Be Nice 'til it's time to be Not Nice

goldminerusa

Postby goldminerusa » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Previous post - "Won`t run without full choke". The saga continues, Seafoamed the gas. Added 2 more gals 93 octane. Pulled the choke knob out full, hit the start button. Started instantly, rpm at 7000, reduced speed with choke down to 3000, let it run that way for 5 minutes, temp gauge in the blue, never went higher ( gas gauge went DOWN ) reduced choke further till a steady 1000 rpm, ran this way for another 3 minutes till i noticed anti freeze dripping from overflow bottle. Overheating? Stuck thermostat? Engine made funny "ooooowooop" sound very shortly after starting. Like a vacuum leak. sound did stop, short duration. I`m thinking i`ll look at the belt timing and timing indicator and replace the t-stat. Cooling fan never turned on. Bad temp sensor too? All help appreciated. Thanks. D2D, Will use your carb adjustment sequence after i fix the cooling boogers. Thanks to all.

cal3san
Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 with MT Trike Kit (sold 9/13)
1982 GL 1100 Interstate
w/1999 Lehman Trike Kit (sold 12/12)
1996 GL-1500A with 2009 Champion Trike Kit (sold 7/15)
2003 GL-1800 with 2113 Champion Trike Kit
2007 Aspen Sentry Camper (sold 5/12)
2012 Mini-Mate Kompac Kamper
2014 TO Slipstream Camper

Postby cal3san » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:41 am

I bought a 82-1100 so I would have my own inventory of spares for my 82-1100 trike. However, I do have extra body parts in the event you want to dress it up. Parts available included:

Fairing (black) with windshield and side (add-on) wind deflectors. Comes with the necessary mounting frame. Has an aftermarket AM/FM/Casket radio in place of left storage box. Right storage box has key

False tank (black). Comes with key.

Foot peg - front and rear.

Saddlebags (winberry). Comes with pigtail plug-in wiring. Key is provided

Saddlebag guards. Right side has helmet lock and key is provided.

Honda trunk (black) has a couple of cracks that can be easily fixed. Comes with key.

Rear fender with lights and frame for mounting trunk. Wired for external radiio antenna. Comes with keys for locking trunk.

Front fender (black)

Chrome engine guards

Set of exhaust pipes with mufflers/baffles intact.

YNCM-USN Retired (1964-1990)
RVN Veteran (MCB-53 1968)
PGR

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”