electric problem-revisted

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

electric problem-revisted

Postby goldminerusa » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Last Saturday after 2 weeks of steady nites and weekends i`m finishing up my project `82 (naked) only to discover a stranded wire jumper between the hot side of fuses 5A parking and 15A lights, horn and turns. So i pulled it out. Wallah, no lights,horn or turns. Made another and put the jumper back in. Problem solved. WRONG. Now the bike has only headlight and the motor starts and runs. Opened the headlight bucket and found a nightmare of chopped up, spliced, soldered connections with duct tape, electrical tape, hot wires hanging and wound in to the mess, including what i think was the sub harness from a factory fairing. Have been doing continuity checks of all circuits and rebuilding the harness connections properly stripping out 17 FEET of wire. Am now to the point of checking the left hand grip switch`s and want to know if the self cancelling turn signals can be removed entirerly, the tilt switch is junk and i question the control module, or will this cuase additional problems. Headlight and motor still good, but still don`t have lights, horn and turns. Part of that problem is Somebody wired in single element turn signal lamps that ground thru mount. Need 4 factory turn/guide light assy`s. Am i missing something here? Can anybody tell me?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”