GL1100 5000 rpm idle

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
JStrz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

GL1100 5000 rpm idle

Postby JStrz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi all, I just picked up my first Goldwing last week, an '81 GL1100 interstate and I'm trying to get it on the road but run into a problem that I'm hoping to get some input on. I bought this from a guy who let it sit for the last two or three years, and it didn't run when I bought it, but the story seemed trustworthy. Seems he didn't like the original carb, guess it didn't run well and he just purchased a Keihin carb for it, put it on and it ran, but claimed it was never synced. I got a battery, and drained the old gas, mixed some sea foam in with new gas and got it running, but not well. Clearly the carb needed some love. I've spent the last 4 nights rebuilding, and just got it all back together tonight, started it right up and all seemed well. About two minutes later the idle steadily increased, and now it's around 5000 rpms, so clearly something is wrong. I've checked what I know to check and haven't found the root cause. By the way, I finally understand why everyone says the carbs on these are a pain in the neck to work on :D

Here's what I've done. Removed the carbs, took each off the plenum, and removed everything but the butterflies. Soaked in yamalube carb cleaner overnight the bodies and metal parts. Scrubbed everything and cleared all the jets. 2 of 4 idle jets were really stubborn, ended up taking them to work for a dip in an ultrasonic cleaner and eventually got them freed. So, I was pretty thorough on and meticulous on that. I reassembled everything with the same parts. All seals looked good (only 35 miles were ridden on this carb) so I reused everything.

No to assess the idle issue. Throttle is not stuck, linkage returns and throttle stop screw lands where it should. While bike is off, choke is not stuck open and slides are down (looked down intake with a mirror). Can't find any vacuum leaks. Sprayed all around with starting fluid and no change noticed. Removing the little vacuum hose to the carb seems to have no effect.

I can't see why there would be an issue with the floats, they all seemed fine and the valves moved freely. I wonder if somehow there's a clogged jet (though I can't fathom how) that's keeping one or more of the slides up when running??? Carbs are not synced, but to the naked eye the butterflies are all reasonably closed, and I can't see how that could produce 5000 rpms.

Anyway, I'm very open to suggestions and wanted to see if there was something obvious I should check before removing the carbs again. Can anyone lend some wisdom on this? Thanks very much!

Accel

JStrz

Re: GL1100 5000 rpm idle

Postby JStrz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Also, I forgot to mention that I set the pilot screws at 1.25 turns off of the seat. I'm not sure if this means anything, but the accelerator pump was leaking fuel onto the engine when I pumped it.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:59 am

Next step is to synchronize the carbs. Common problem after having them apart. Also, the floats probably aren't causing this problem but they need to be right on spec. Even 1mm off will cause lean or rich condition.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

JStrz

Postby JStrz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks :D Is it possible that syncing could be the issue? What I'm reading leads me to think that a mechanical sync with a gauge pin should be sufficient to get the bike going. I didn't do this, as eyeballing the butterflies looked to me like they were all very even. I think I can get my hands on some vacuum gauges and do the sync.

I'm still researching this and have a few more things to check. Need to check the choke butterflies when running to make sure they're not stuck closed, and also look at the slides, make sure not stuck open. I did check this while not running, but should check while running.

I read that I should remove one spark plug wire, start the bike and see if that fixes the idle. Go through with all 4 and see if that makes a difference, and potentially isolate the problem cylinder. If no change is detected, then it's likely a vacuum leak. Otherwise, it could be a sticky slide. Slides seemed to move very freely when disassembled, but I did have to remove two of them to get the carb back in the frame. Not sure if anything happened in that process that would have caused them to get sticky.

So I have a few more things to check and a weekend to get after it. Thanks again for the response!

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:54 pm

I also had a similar problem-the timing on my machine was off-after I got it back to factory specs-the idle rpm took off (5000+).Syncing the carbs took care of it.Let us know how you fare.Regards,Johnyy

JStrz

Postby JStrz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:06 am

Happy to report that the problem is solved and I spent the weekend riding! Honestly I don't even want to say what was wrong as it was pretty silly, and actually the most obvious thing possible. I knew the throttle stop was landing, and had been going on the assumption that the previous owner had it set right, so I didn't consider checking that. I was diving way too deep into the details :) Well, it finally occurred to me, and all it took was backing that screw out to get the RPMs right down. Doh! I had figured it was probably something dumb like that as I was really thorough on the rebuild. I have yet to sync the carbs, but I was getting about 40 mpg this weekend, so I'm excited to see what the gains will be from that.

Thanks for the support!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”