coolant tubes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
johngagen
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing interstate

coolant tubes

Postby johngagen » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:25 am

Well...my good intentions to replace the o rings in my coolant tubes is complete now,but what a learning curve !!!

I started by removing bolts holding elbow joints to top of head; I broke 3 of the 4 off in the head,probably should have heated them but I'll never know for sure they may still not have come out as they probably have never been touched like so many of the old bolts. Found a local small engine repair guy to drill em out and retap which went fairly well and inexpensive,did it on the bike too. One whole ended up a little too inboard of the correct alignment, so then I had to enlarge whole on elbow so it could back away from engine cause it was critical to keep the elbow and tube perpendicular to each other for the o rings to seal correctly.

Overtightened one bolt and stripped it, so again vern came over and put a helicoil in that whole for me altogother I paid vern
$120.00 bucks which I consider a fabulous deal considering....then put back togother and it still leaked...took apart and discovered a burr on the end of the tube and a damaged o ring.

replaced the o ring used rtv high temp sealant to make new gaskets on both sides now and I think I'm good now.

Lessons: tubes go in easier if the o ring is on tube not in whole when putting togother,little vaseline for lube. shouldn't take force just slight wiggle and push.

Don't overtighten bolts in aluminum head.

rtv gasket stuff...let it set for about 1/2 an hour before putting pieces back togother, stays in place better and less mess.
let cure for 24 hours before starting up to test(I'm always to impatient) it says this on instructions of course.

I ended up tkaing apart and putting back togother like three or four times, I'm getting good at it .

did my timing belts...easy as pie thanks to the do it yourself articles, ya'll are great help. replaced radiator hoses,pain in the but I thought, but I was already there.

I should be good for awhile now !!

miss-goldwing
Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing inerstate

Re: coolant tubes

Postby miss-goldwing » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:01 pm

I just did the same job on the coolant tubes I had good luck with mine no prob I dont know what I would have done if one of the bolts broke off glad you got yours fixed

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: coolant tubes

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Sounds like you learned alot-and you did it yourself!Regards,Johnyy

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”