Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
- Sponsored Links
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 245
- Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:20 am
- Location: Southern NH, home again!
- Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c
On my 82 110 theres a metzeler me 880 with a date code of 4904. that means the tire was made on the 49th week of of 2004. Right? Its in very good condition with low mileage and no damage, but should it be replaced because it`s 8 yrs old?
- Posts: 1396
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 pm
- Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
- Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(
Some will say replace it others not. Myself if it's not cracked on the sidewalls and if it holds air I would run it. There are a lot of factors that lead to tire degradation. Storage is one of them. If the bike or tire has been stored outside in the sun etc. then maybe rethink your position.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "
- Posts: 1831
- Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am
- Location: Plano, TX
- Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500
I have to agree with CBX, if there is no visible signs of cracking in the sidewall I would use it. If it got a puncture I would probably change it rather than repair it given the age, but if if looks good I would run it until it wore out or punctured.. I would also look at it regularly for a couple of weeks after I started using it just to make sure no cracks appeared..
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests