Un-Linking '83 GL1100I Brakes?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
lake_harley
Motorcycle: GL1100

Un-Linking '83 GL1100I Brakes?

Postby lake_harley » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:00 pm

I have a '83 GL1100I that I'm working on to get back on the road after a few years of neglect from a PO. The linked brakes on the '83 really don't make sense to me by applying front along with the rear (seems like a wet grass/pavement accident waiting to happen). I also have a 2004 BMW R1150R that applies a bit of rear brake with the front brake, but the rear is completely independent on it when you use the rear brake pedal, which makes more sense to me, but that's a different bike and probably doesn't mean anything here.

IF I "un-link" my Gold Wing's brakes, would I be advised to replace both the front and rear master cylinders with '81-82 compnents to get the right proportion and "feel"? Will the earlier rear master cylinder bolt directly up to the frame bracket on my '83? Has anyone done this to their bike and would you recommend/discourage messing with it?

BTW....I just found this website and just want to say THANK YOU for a great resource of information. I've already read several of the DIY threads and will put many of them to practical use. I was encouraged that some of the things that I have already done to my '83 I did relatively correctly, but having a "back-up" will certainly be helpful.

Lynn

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Un-Linking '83 GL1100I Brakes?

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:08 pm

I don't know if the master cylinders from an 82 will bolt directly in place, but you also need to think about the front caliper - because on an 83, the front calipers have different sized pistons on each side, so applying front brake will cause more braking on one side than the other.

My preference is with my 82 - where the brakes are unlinked, and I can apply the brakes as I see fit (which is, front AND rear, proportionately, every time). That said, I don't think that if (i.e. when) I have a newer bike that DOES have the linked brakes, that I will be un-linking them. It would require a ton of parts and modifications.

You're better off replacing your lines with stainless braided lines (which will provide a tremendous increase in braking performance), and braking using hand and foot every time, in my book.

I did some searching on the web and found one owner of an 83 who had unlinked brakes:

I bought an 83 Aspencade that had this modification. I am not sure what the differences are between the 1100 and 1200 as far as the front brakes but i can tell you how it was done on the 1100. The lower lines are the same as the 1000 and you need to run two of them from the front junction just like the 1000. You will need a double line banjo bolt to replace the one that is there for the upper line. I believe the front master cylinder is the same and it is very frim with little movement. I dont think you would need to replace that. Mine has the stock calipers and one rotor will get very hot under hard braking while the other barely gets warm. I always attributed to different sized pistons like everybody was saying. Unless you are going to get matched calipers, I don't think it is worth it. My rear brake also seems rather soft. It will lock up, but it needs a lot of travel. Hard to say if this is because of the mod or just getting old with age.

lake_harley
Motorcycle: GL1100

Postby lake_harley » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:28 pm

WOW...fast reply....thanks!

I'm not sure if it's worth changing things or not. I may just leave things as-is, in the plumbing department, but wouldn't see the front brake "imbalance" issue to be any more pronounced or problematic than the stock arrangement, or any number of bikes that have only a single front rotor/caliper. I, too, have always tried to use the brakes on both ends my bike(s), but there are situations when a bit of rear brake alone, without fear of the front brake washing out the front end, would be helpful.

For now I still have other issues that need attention on the bike. I look forward to getting my 'Wing on the road.

Thanks!

Lynn

Andyb
Motorcycle: 1983 Interstate

Postby Andyb » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:52 am

I was advised to change both master cylinders. But, when I looked up the parts in the service manual, the 82 and 83 had the same size front master cylinder pistons so I think you would not need to replace that. I have not done it yet but when I do, I will not be replacing the front Master cylinder.

dsbeehive
Motorcycle: 1983 GL110I Interstate

Postby dsbeehive » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 am

I just completed the described process. I was told that the proportioning valve was plugged and it is an unserviceable, no longer available part. Likewise the master cylinders are no longer available new from Honda as of FEB 2010. You have a 14MM bore front master that does not have enough capacity to push both front calipers, so I purchased a used 5/8" bore front master and cleaned it up. It is a duplicate for appearance on the bike. Here is the brake lines parts list - all purchased from Cheap Cycle Parts:
Front Brake Lines: 44" CLR COATED SS BRAKE HOSE - 2 required
Rear Brake Line: Goodridge Universal Brake Hoses - Clear Coat w/Chrome Swivels - 34" - 1 required
10MM 35 DEG BANJO FITTING 5 required
3/8" CRUSH WASHER (6) 1 required (I bought 2 for insurance)
10MM X 1.0 DBL BANJO BOLT CHR 1 One of these was required, and I was not sure which so purchased both
10MM X 1.25 DBL BANJO BOLT CHR 1 as no one could tell me the proper thread pitch.
3/8-24 INVER FLARE 90SHRT 1 required as there is a hard brake line off the rear master to the proportioning valve.

I did not change out the rear master and now have plenty of braking both front and rear.

Happy repairs

cpetku
Motorcycle: 1958 Vespa

Postby cpetku » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:41 pm

I was thinking about doing just the opposite (converting an 82 to Linked brakes). What got me started was I bought a set of calipers since my rear bleeder was stripped out. When I saw the new brackets were really different, I realized that these came from an 83 Aspencade and I have an 82 standard. Seemed like I just needed a proportioning valve, rear master and a couple of lines to make this work. However, if people are not happy with the 83 linked brakes maybe I'll just shelve the fronts for now and look for a clean (used) 82 rear MC pushrod since I need to take mine apart again as the return valve is clogged and my pushrod was in bad shape when I rebuilt the MC this spring.

dsbeehive
Motorcycle: 1983 GL110I Interstate

Postby dsbeehive » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:52 am

There were a couple of comments on the unmatched front calipers as the right is a slightly smaller piston. Having ridden the bike for a few thousand miles after the conversion, all I can say is that the braking is more even after the removal of the linked brakes than it ever was before. The difference in piston size is something you will either not notice or fully compensate for on your first ride.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”