Trailer Specs

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
tallman21
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100i

Trailer Specs

Postby tallman21 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 am

Hey guys,

I know I am blowing up the forum but got another questions for you experienced trip takers out there. I have been looking for an inexpensive trailer to buy. I found this with some digging.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-ca ... 90153.html

I was reading reviews and it seems that just about everyone bought it to tow behind a bike. Would this be safe? in other words would the tires be ok at higher speeds along with the bearings?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Trailer Specs

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:59 am

Perfectly fine, as you said, many people have made bike trailers out of that kit. You'll likely want to extend the tongue out a bit, some people cut the crossbeams down to narrow it a bit. The 12" wheels are good for highway speeds, you may want to replace the Chinese bearings with some good American ones. Keep the bearings well packed with grease, it will last you a lifetime.

tallman21
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100i

Postby tallman21 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:23 am

WingAdmin,

They also have this one... it has 8 inch tires tho. Would that be bad for highway?

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 42708.html

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:35 am

I have dragged around a tailer with 8 inch wheels for thousands of miles with no problems with the bearings. While the smaller wheels do turn faster with good quality bearings and good grease you should have no problems. Its when you start to run heavier loads ( think boat trailers or full sized tent trailers loaded with gear as well) with the small wheels that the bearings may fail due to heat build up. You are not going to be carrying enough weight to have that problem. Bigger wheels do track a little smoother ,my last trailer has 8 inch wheels and the new one has 18 inch wheels,both do the job just fine. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 am

You will notice that Todd said with good quality bearings and good grease. The chances of these trailers having "good quality" bearings and tires is very low. You can easily tow them 2000 to 5000 miles safely, but if you are trying to get yourself a long time trailer, sometime within this length of time, I would be changing out the bearings and using a high quality synthetic grease to pack them. The tires? Well, they will let you know when to change them, as you will probably wear them out in the first year, so keep an eye on them (mine lasted 2500 miles and that was on a much higher quality trailer)(still cheapshyte tires). All in all, if you put a car top carrier on one of those trailers, you should be very contented.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Camping and Trailers”