oil leak up front

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
newomij
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

oil leak up front

Postby newomij » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:52 am

My '82 Aspencade has developed a significant oil leak (as in watch it drip, drip, drip) somewhere near the top right (passenger side if I may) of the transmission cover. I replaced the gasket and seals and 'O' rings of that cover last summer with a help of this forum's DIY information. What I didn't have available at that time was a torque wrench to know how snug I was tightening the bolts. Other than that, I followed the guide to the letter. For several months and about a thousand miles (OK, I don't ride very much but I do ride here and there) there were no oil leak issues except for one valve cover on the same side.

I have pulled the front cover and was hoping to see some significant "sign" of where the oil might be escaping through the gasket. No such luck that I can determine. There is one 'O' ring near that corner that looked suspicious because a corner of it was outside it's appropriate channel. Perhaps that could have kept the cover gasket from properly sealing?

I looked at the timing belt cover gaskets and though they have some accumulation of oil sludge, they appear to be OK. There is some recent oil accumulation along the bottom right edge of those seals but at a lower point than the leaking that was visible so that oil, in my estimation, is from the leak higher up.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets last year when I was adjusting the valve clearances (again, thanks to this DIY forum) with non-OEM gaskets. One of them sealed nicely. The other didn't even after several attempts. So, I resurrected one of the originals that I had just pulled off and it held for some months but is now leaking again. When I was having someone else doing the mechanicals, he would put a blue gasket sealer on the rubber gaskets. Is there a good reason NOT to use something like that?

Tell me what you think is going on here. You can leave out the part about the rookie mechanic-that's a given. If you need more info or even a photo of...I can try to get that on here ASAP. I realize it's Saturday and unless it's raining really hard, everyone is out riding but I look forward to some input.

Thanks for your time...

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: oil leak up front

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:39 pm

The o-ring which didnt seal corectley may be the culprit.The timing belt "gaskets" are only a dust seal-they hold no liquids back.I would also use a torque wrench next time-cheap insurance.Regards,Johnyy

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Re: oil leak up front

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:25 am

newomij wrote:I have pulled the front cover and was hoping to see some significant "sign" of where the oil might be escaping through the gasket. No such luck that I can determine. There is one 'O' ring near that corner that looked suspicious because a corner of it was outside it's appropriate channel. Perhaps that could have kept the cover gasket from properly sealing?

I replaced the valve cover gaskets last year when I was adjusting the valve clearances (again, thanks to this DIY forum) with non-OEM gaskets. One of them sealed nicely. The other didn't even after several attempts. So, I resurrected one of the originals that I had just pulled off and it held for some months but is now leaking again. When I was having someone else doing the mechanicals, he would put a blue gasket sealer on the rubber gaskets. Is there a good reason NOT to use something like that?

Thanks for your time...

Yes the o-ring is probably the culprit. Very important that they are the perfect right size and are aligned correctly. About the blue gasket sealer. I only use sealer on non rubber gaskets that require a bit of hold to help it stay in place during assembly. i.e. cork or other such material. Rubber gaskets do not require sealer on them. A good reason NOT to use the blue stuff is that it may cause more slipping of the gasket, as the sealer is slippery. What is a good reason TO use it, is my question here. AND the torque spec is very important here. Over torque will tend to cause the rubber to squeeze out of their rightful place, causing a possible place for leakage. I would install new proper fitting o-rings and gaskets. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”