Motorcycle Caddy

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
n.kockler
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Motorcycle Caddy

Postby n.kockler » Tue May 01, 2012 2:59 pm

I'm interested in the Motrocycle Caddy where the front wheel is raised and secured to a reciever hitch and the rear wheel rolls behind. I have a 1981 GL1100 Interstate. Has anyone used this type of trailer? Is towing like this OK with the shaft drive? Thanks, Wooodstock Nick

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Motorcycle Caddy

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 pm

No, it is not. The wheel rotates the shaft, which rotates some of the output portion of the transmission, even if it is in neutral. The problem is, because the engine is not running, the oil pumps are not pumping oil, so there is no lubrication occurring in the engine or transmission. You can do serious damage to the transmission towing it this way, because of the lack of lubrication.

saltydog
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby saltydog » Wed May 02, 2012 7:49 am

I would guess that the transmission runs in oil and is not pressure lubricated like the engine. I see no harm. It would be similar to towing a standard transmission car while in neutral. Please prove me wrong.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 02, 2012 11:36 am

saltydog wrote:I would guess that the transmission runs in oil and is not pressure lubricated like the engine. I see no harm. It would be similar to towing a standard transmission car while in neutral. Please prove me wrong.

No, that's not the case. The engine oil pumps pump oil up into the top of the engine under pressure. As it drains back to the sump, some of the draining oil is captured by the mainshaft and countershaft bearing caps. This oil is directed into the inside of the shafts, where it exits through holes in the shaft, lubricating the gears. If no oil is being pumped (i.e. engine not running) while the rear wheel is turning, no oil is draining to the sump, which means the countershaft, bearings, gears and at least some gears on the main shaft are all rotating with no lubrication whatsoever.

From the Honda service manual:

Mainshaft:

Remove the mainshaft end cap. NOTE: The cap catches oil as it drains into the sump and directs it into the center of the mainshaft. Be sure to reinstall the cap in its original position or transmission lubrication will be impaired.

Check the gears for freedom of movement or rotation on the shaft. Examine the gear dogs for evidence of abnormal wear. Note the alignment of the bushing and shaft oil holes.

Countershaft:

Check the gears for freedom of movement or rotation on the shaft. Examine the gear dogs and slots for evidence of abnormal wear. Note the alignment of the bushing and shaft oil holes.

Install the countershaft in the case. Be sure the oil passage in the bearing cap is clean and push it into position by hand. Tighten the screws securely.

saltydog
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby saltydog » Wed May 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Believe me, I am not trying to be argumentative here, but I have a couple of questions, What is the oil level in the sump when the bike is setting still, relative to the transmission. What happens to the oil level in the sump when the front wheel is raised a foot to a foot and a half? Does it not run back to the transmission? I don't have an engine here to look at, so I am asking.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 03, 2012 9:36 am

saltydog wrote:Believe me, I am not trying to be argumentative here, but I have a couple of questions, What is the oil level in the sump when the bike is setting still, relative to the transmission. What happens to the oil level in the sump when the front wheel is raised a foot to a foot and a half? Does it not run back to the transmission? I don't have an engine here to look at, so I am asking.

The transmission isn't at the back of the engine, the shafts are longitudinally mounted below the engine.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”