GL1100 Mirror Repair

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
lake_harley
Motorcycle: GL1100

GL1100 Mirror Repair

Postby lake_harley » Tue May 01, 2012 3:11 pm

My GL1100I left mirror has been getting more and more loose, until on my last ride I could see my right hand on the throttle in the left mirror.

I took the mirror off the fairing and tried gently snugging the bolt that compresses the tension spring, but could tell the bolt or threaded boss in the mirror body was stripped. It was the female threads in the boss that were stripped. It appeared the boss was large enough to go up one size on the bolt size, so I reamed the hole, tapped with 5MM threads and replaced the bolt with a 5MM of the same length as the old original bolt. The old bolt was a shoulder bolt meant to be bottomed on the larger un-threaded portion, but by tightening the new, non-shouldered bolt using some common sense I think it will be fine. Used anti sieze on the bolt to reduce the chance of stripping it again.

If you're mirrors are loose use your own judgement if you want to try my remedy. I offer no written or implied guarantee :D

Lynn

jeremccurdy
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A
Roketa Bali 250 AKA The lane splitter
1982 Urban Express MU50 Matched pair
1982 GL1100A

Re: GL1100 Mirror Repair

Postby jeremccurdy » Wed May 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Did almost the exact same thing on my 82 1100. Just without the reaming and tapping. I just replaced the original bolt with a full-thread bolt. Worked Perfectly.
Jesus Christ never taught that answering His call was a matter of convenience. It may well cost your life.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”