No Headlight

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jeffstatham
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

No Headlight

Postby jeffstatham » Thu May 03, 2012 7:56 am

When I rescued my '83 Aspencade late last summer, the headlight worked intermittently. Now that I've rebuilt almost everything on the bike, I have no headlight at all! According to the mechanic at my local bike shop, you need a headlight for safety?? Crazy. All other lights are working. There's no power to the plug (going into the light) but there is juice to the blue wires on the dimmer switch and I took apart the starter switch and cleaned it up - there's power there too. I undid the big plug going into the fairing and there's no power...I also took the weight off of the front forks and can't find power to the blue wire there. Fuses are good as well.

Is there something I'm missing? To quote Al Pacino..."I'M IN THE DARK HERE!!"

I'm thinking about maybe using one of those old bicycle headlights with the generator that runs off the front wheel!

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/words of encouragement.

Jeff

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: No Headlight

Postby RBGERSON » Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 am

Fuse may look good check it with a meter..follow the blue sire back until you get power..bad connection? broken wire, ground in the bucket not grounded?
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

jeffstatham
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: No Headlight

Postby jeffstatham » Thu May 03, 2012 9:24 am

Ohhhhh....ground in the bucket, eh? I didn't think to check that. I'll go do that right now!

Thanks!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”