Changed cam belt's No Compression

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
junkyarded
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing

Changed cam belt's No Compression

Postby junkyarded » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm a newbi to the Gold Wing world so don't know a whole lot about them - Anyway I picked up a 1980 GL1100 that I was told was "locked up" - It turns out the guy probably didn't know what he was doing since all it was is he didn't have it in neutral - which for some reason meant you couldn't even turn the motor over with a wrench on the crank nut - He had installed new belt's and gave up when he couldn't get it to turn over - I think he may have put them on wrong since I got it turning over but it doesn't seem to have any compression - I removed and replaced them following the link I found on here ( Made sure the crank was at TDC on the #1 cyl - made sure the cam's were properly lined up to the mark's on the back plate - turned it over by hand for 2 complete rev's and everything was still lined up -- Noo compression - remover the left valve cover and saw the valves opening and closing so their not bent --- I'm at a loss here --- Any idea's ?????

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Changed cam belt's No Compression

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:36 am

If the belts were changed incorrectly, and the engine wouldn't turn over as a result...and he tried to start it that way, then there IS engine damage, and that would explain the lack of compression. Do you have no compression in all four cylinders?

The valves could be bent or broken, or a valve could have punched a hole in the top of a piston. I'd pull both valve covers off and have a very close look. Given the history of the incorrect timing belt change, I have a hard time thinking that it could be caused by anything else.

junkyarded

Postby junkyarded » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:00 am

No compression in any cylinder - can see all 4 pistons moving and feel air being pushed - I'm going to try releasing the valves ( all of them) to see if it's a valve problem - If that doesn't work I'd have to think he punched holes in all 4 piston's ( I really don't want too pull heads off unless it's the last resort) - If that's the case I'll probably start looking for a replacement motor as this one has 42,000 miles on it :cry:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:32 am

Yeah, if there's that much damage, I think I'd be looking for a new engine as well.

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Postby ekcyclerepair » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi Junkyarded. Typically , when belts are installed incorrectly, the result is bent valves which would explain your no compression condition. While it is possible that the pistons are damaged, in my 20+ years as a Honda tech I've never seen that to be the case. Usually the valve stems simply bend, with no resulting damage to the pistons. A cheap way to inspect the pistons would be to locate a shop that has a borescope and take a peek inside the cylinders through the spark plug holes. A borescope is a camera that has a tiny lens at the end of a flexible cable which is inserted into the engine. At the dealership where I work we would charge you about $30-$50 to do this.

Ok, how much is it going to cost to fix? If the pistons are ok and ALL 8 valves are bent then you'd be looking at a parts bill of around $700-$800?? (valves, gaskets, guide seals, coolant, etc..) and a labor bill of around $450-$650. Of course, on an older machine you never know what you're going to find until you actually have it apart. I'm not necessarily saying that this is the way to go. Compare this to the cost of replacing the engine, keeping in mind that it would be wise to adjust the valves, replace the belts, etc. on the replacement engine.

Best of luck.
Ernie

junkyarded

Postby junkyarded » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Thank's - I'll check into doing the borescope thing if backing off on the valves doesn't give me some compression

TKM
Motorcycle: 1976-GL 1000-
1978 GL 1000-rolling frame
1979 GL 1000-
1982 GL 1100A-
1999 Valkyrie
1974 TR6

Postby TKM » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:51 am

Hi--please forgive my ignorance i am not a mechanic !
To-day's stupid question , is it possible to bugger all four cyl at once ? I know we can't assume the old owner knew diddley , was he pushing it or towing with a car ?
If he wasn't are the starters powerful enough to do that amt of damage ?

Are we sure the compression test was completed correctly , maybe try another gauge , try the cheap stuff first

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:15 pm

TKM wrote:If he wasn't are the starters powerful enough to do that amt of damage ?

Absolutely. If the timing belts are off, hitting the starter button will bend the valves instantly.

papathud
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100

Postby papathud » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:47 pm

if i may wade in here....even if you :back off" the valves if theyre bent theyre not seating properly, and i would venture to say they can be slightly bent and youd still see movement when cranking over.so backing them off id bet you still have no compression from the bent valves. i gotten good used heads off e-bay for as little as 15 bucks plus shipping .much cheaper than a rebuild . anyway good luck

junkyarded

Postby junkyarded » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:00 pm

Thank's for all the input on my problem - I just bought a set of used head's that look good and am going to lap- not cut - the valves and put in new seals - Haven't taken the old heads off yet but will post info when I do if I find the problem - Really appreciate the help I've gotten here as being a Harley man myself I was at a loss on this Honda - Give me a big hammer and a screwdriver and I can fix most any problem that comes up on my beat up old 77 shovelhead - LOL

papathud
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100

Postby papathud » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:08 pm

lol junkyarded just parted with an 81 shovelhead i rode for 11 years. ive got 2 gl1100's now both rescues lol.ive been pleasantly suprised going thru them.

junkyarded

Postby junkyarded » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:36 pm

It is interesting doing major motor work on a Honda - a lot more complicated than a Harley - sort of like the difference between a sewing machine and a Mack truck but interesting and something to keep me busy while it's too cold to ride - Yep , even here in NC it gets too cold to enjoy riding

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”