Misc. Electrical Help

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
RickH4259
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Misc. Electrical Help

Postby RickH4259 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:33 am

I have a 1980 GL1100 (Naked Wing).

My cooling fan never comes on...I would like to check the fuse before I try changing the thermostat and temperature switch. Where is the fuse box located for this bike?

My fuel and temp gages frequently swing full right (simultaneously and together) while riding. From time to time, they come back to their correct position, but then swing right again. Can you point me in the right direction to troubleshoot? I'm was guessing it might be a ground issue, but from another post; I'm wondering if I should be looking at the regulator.

All other lights, electrical work fine.

Thanks very much,
Rick

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Misc. Electrical Help

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 03, 2012 10:44 am

RickH4259 wrote:I have a 1980 GL1100 (Naked Wing).

My cooling fan never comes on...I would like to check the fuse before I try changing the thermostat and temperature switch. Where is the fuse box located for this bike?

My fuel and temp gages frequently swing full right (simultaneously and together) while riding. From time to time, they come back to their correct position, but then swing right again. Can you point me in the right direction to troubleshoot? I'm was guessing it might be a ground issue, but from another post; I'm wondering if I should be looking at the regulator.

All other lights, electrical work fine.

Thanks very much,
Rick

The fuse box is located under the false tank, near the front. Open the top and you'll see it near the front of that area:

The fuel/temp gauge problem is your 7 volt regulator. You need to fix that soon before the gauges are damaged (the reason they're swinging right is because they're getting a full 12 volts instead of the correct 7 volts). Read about it here: 7 Volt Regulator

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”