clutch issue

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
AMXER
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

clutch issue

Postby AMXER » Sat May 05, 2012 5:18 pm

I am looking for some advice on the clutch in my 82 GL1100I. I was just trying to get it ready for the season and tried the clutch and the lever had no resistance for the first approx. half of its travel then had seemingly normal tension. I started it and pulled in the clutch to see if it would release the clutch enough to go into gear, it did but was dragging. I shut off the engine and started to inspect further, found the cable seemed fine. I could move the lever on the clutch housing by hand and seemed the same (no resistance for first half of travel. I figured that something broke internal. I was planning on changing oil anyway, so I drained the oil and it was very much flooded with fuel. I had the carbs leak over the winter while I was working in the garage with radiant overhead heaters going, I just figured the fuel had expanded and leaked externally but now I am thinking it went internal as well. So I guess my biggest question would be how would my bearings hold up and would that be my clutch problem as well? Would fuel in the oil have destroyed the clutch friction plates? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know there is a lot of experience here on the forum which helped me with doing steering head bearings 2 years ago when I first got this bike.
Thanks Terry

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: clutch issue

Postby SteveB123 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:43 pm

I wouldn't be concerned about the bearings if you didn't actually ride the bike, and it sounds like you didn't. Sounds like the gas may have soaked into the clutch friction material and expanded it...not sure if that's even a possibility, just thinking out loud.

having said all that, I don't think you'd have anything to loose by changing the oil and filter, adjusting the clutch, and going for a ride.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

AMXER

Postby AMXER » Sun May 06, 2012 2:41 pm

You're right I didn't ride it, once I felt the clutch was dragging I shut it off. I'll put in fresh oil and filter and try it after work.
Thanks

AMXER

Postby AMXER » Mon May 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Clutch update and looking for more advice, I finished changing the oil and adjusted the clutch which felt ok. tried to start it and it wouldn't crank over, starter engaging but not turning over engine. Then I noticed a puddle developing under the bike coming out of both exhaust pipes. I had the fuel petcock off after I shut it off last time and just turned it back on before trying to start it this time. So what would cause the carbs to continuously flood with the fuel turned on. Thanks Terry

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon May 07, 2012 8:14 pm

If it's gas,then probably a stuck float.Sometimes a good rap with the butt end of a large screwdriver will free them up.I'd be pulling the plugs out and kill switch the ignition(no spark) till you get the carbs to seal.This will help in case it fuel locks and floods a cylinder.
The spinning starter is a sticking starter clutch in the engine.Running some MMO in the engine for 50 miles will usually clean it up.
You may have to hand roll the engine a few times with the rear wheel to get it to start working.
As always....BE CAREFUL when working around gas and gas vapors.We want to read about your success not about a fire.

AMXER

Postby AMXER » Tue May 15, 2012 6:39 am

Thanks for all the good advice, when I pulled the drain screws on the float bowls to drain and start fresh there was quite a bit of sediment that came out as well. With only owning the bike for 2 years now and not knowing when the carbs have been touched previously I have ordered Randakks master carb kit and will do a rebuild this weekend. I would rather do it now and know the condition instead of finding out half way through the season when I won't have the time to work on it. Any further advice is always appreciated, the knowledge and willingness to offer it is great on this list.
Thanks

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”